Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2019!!!

@nun ya wrote:

@SITRN wrote:

Happy New League Year everyone. 

Thanks for for the musical tribute @gardenman 

My head is spinning from all this activity today. Hopefully all these deals will improve their teams. I’m selfishly not pulling for Oakland after this mess w Brown tho. Did you happen to notice how normal(well normal for him) Mr. Big Chest looked at his press conference? No blonde mustache, no blue hair, acting all family like, his kids all there, at his press conference? Sorry! My bad! I gotta get past this and move on.   

He was 25 minutes late to his first task LOL

@nun ya  @SITRN 

And he was late for practices when he was on Dancing With The Stars too.....this guy maybe talented, but he's so full of himself....and irresponsible to always be late...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Interesting. Teddy Bridgewater's visit to Miami is reportedly due to concern that Sean Payton will leave New Orleans to become the Cowboys next head coach after next season. It doesn't sound like Teddy thinks Jason Garrett will be keeping his job. Could Payton and JJ already have a handshake deal in place? Jason Garrett moves upstairs in an advisor role while Payton runs the team? Did Sean Payton share that information with Teddy, or is Teddy just putting two and two together?

@gardenman 

That rumour of Sean Payton going to coach the Cowboys has been going on for years...He had a home in the Dallas area, but he moved out in 2012, when he got a divorce and ex- wife and kids lived there, but the house was sold in 2014....

Personally I think Sean Payton has too strong a personality to put up with all Jerrah Jones meddling. He has free wheelin in New Orleans, I dont think Mrs. Benson does much kabitzing.(same with Mr. Benson who passed on)... ...Of course money talks and if Sean takes the job in Dallas we will know where his heart is....$$$$.... and that never quite yields success in the majority of cases......Woman Frustrated  But Payton could be looking elsewhere he was linked to the Rams before McVay got the job...maybe he will leave when Brees does

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Lamar Jackson likely took a few years off of John Harbaugh's life with that stunt. Harbaugh has pretty much bet his career on Lamar Jackson, and the last thing he needs is the kid killing himself by driving like an idiot. Coaches don't relax until they get everyone in training camp and under some control.

The Eagles signed a Steelers backup linebacker, LJ Fort, to round out the linebacking corps. It could be a good signing. The Eagles are staying low budget in signings to try and optimize compensatory picks next year. They'll get a third for Foles, a fourth for Jordan Hicks, and possibly another fourth for both Ajayi and Golden Tate. Signing Malik Jackson didn't affect compensatory picks since he'd been cut, the trade for DeSean Jackson didn't matter either. They may make a trade for a running back to keep their compensatory picks rather than sign a free agent. Getting four extra picks in the draft is pretty valuable.

The unknown of the Eagles running backs is the kid (Boston Scott) we picked up from the Saints practice squad last year. Everyone's pretty much forgotten about the kid, but the Saints wanted to keep him, and the Eagles were very happy to get him, so he could be part of the solution to the running back issue in Philly. I'm not sure the Eagles won't wait until the draft to address runningback now. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Giants are kind of entertaining. They just signed Golden Tate to a four year $37.5 million dollar deal with $23 million fully guaranteed. That's kind of a lot of money for a 30 year old slot receiver. I'm not sure anyone understands what they're doing, but they're definitely not predictable.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

@gardenman  I hope LJ Fort improves for the Eagles. He was definitely nothing special for us. We need a major improvement in our secondary. Hoping the new corner, Steven Nelson helps us. 

I was surprised by the Golden Tate signing with the Giants. I thought the Pats were in on him. 

Honored Contributor

The Golden Tate signing is weird. He's a slot receiver and they already have one in Sterling Shepherd. By signing Tate they lose their fifth round compensatory pick in next year's draft and give the Eagles a fourth round compensatory pick. Golden Tate needs an accurate QB as he's got a small catch radius, but Eli's not accurate. They're clearly rebuilding, but you don't rebuild around a 31 year old slot receiver. Golden Tate had said in January that his top priority was to go to a team that was ready to win now. Yeah. That's not the Giants. The Pats and Cowboys were also reportedly looking to sign him and both of those teams could be winners. Not much of that signing makes sense for either the team or the player. It's a head-scratcher.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

With the first wave of free agency now winding down, who came out ahead, and who came out behind. Let's start with the AFC East. The Patriots haven't done a lot but did add Michael Bennett as a pass rushing threat. Will he fit in with New England? We'll see, but until the Pats lose Tom Brady they'll always be a threat. The Jets were very active and are clearly better than they were with Le'Veon Bell, Mosley and others. Are they good enough to challenge the Patriots? Probably not. The Bills also made a bunch of moves to get stronger and are clearly bettter than last year at this time. The Dolphins, well the weather's nice in Miami. They may be tanking for Tua.

In the AFC North the Browns did the most to get stronger. The Steelers are weaker. The Ravens are stronger. The Bengals, well they're the Bengals. They're stuck in that no-mans land where they win enough to never get a top draft pick, but lose too much to be competitive. If they try to tank for Tua they'll win too many games and miss out.

In the AFC South the Jaguars should be better with some stability at quarterback, but they need the good Nick Foles, not the so-so one. The Colts are stronger. The Titans are a bit stronger as are the Texans. No one seems to be tanking for Tua in ths AFC South. That could be a four team dogfight all season for the title.

The AFC West is interesting. The Chiefs have essentially thrown away their defense (Houston, Ford, Berry all gone.) I'm not sure how effective that is as a strategy. If I had to give them a grade, I'd say they were weaker now than before. The Chargers look about the same, give or take a bit. Denver could be in the tank for Tua sweepstakes. I'm not impressed by their trading for Flacco. The Raiders, well, they got AB and some other decent players without having to give up any of their three first round picks. If they hit it with those picks and Derek Carr plays well, they could be pretty good. They may be the most improved team in the AFC West. Maybe in the whole league.

The NFC East has the Giants making a number of head scratching moves. They're clearly not as good as they were before all of this. I'm assuming they're tanking for Tua, so watch them trade up to draft a QB this year. The Cowboys have been very quiet so far due to cap issues. They resurrected Witten from the dead, but can he still play at a high level? Their defensive line is a bit of a mess having lost two guys and then Lawrence holding out for a new deal. The Redskins are still in QB purgatory with two career backups in Keenum and McCoy competing to be the starter. The Landon Collins signing is okay, but they paid a lot for a box safety. The Eagles didn't make a big splash in free agency, but they pulled off some good trades and resignings to fill holes and appear a bit stronger.

In the NFC North the Packers have been unusually aggressive and really gone after top tier defensive players. Chicago, Minnesota and Detroit have all made moves to get stronger also. QB play in the NFC north will likely determine a winner there this year. All four teams have QB's with potential, who are somewhat hit and miss.

In the NFC South, the Saints seem to have done the most to strengthen the team. The Falcons added a few pieces, but not too much. The Panthers are in a holding pattern and could be in on the tank for Tua sweepstakes depending on what happens with Cam's shoulder. Tampa, well they're Tampa. They probably don't have to tank for Tua, they'll just be there naturally.

The NFC West looks kind of crazy this year. The Cards are making some moves, but their head coaching situation is a bit of a head scratcher to me. The Rams have been pretty quiet while the Seahawks and Niners are scooping up lots of guys. The Niners could end up being pretty good this year.

When you look at the makeup of the divisions, the teams that seem to have the easiest path to the playoffs are the Eagles (Dallas is the only real threat in the NFC East and they've got issues,) the Saints and the Bears in the NFC. The Seahawks and Niners look to give the Rams some trouble this year. Todd Gurley's knee could be a big issue for the Rams. The Rams should still emerge on top, but getting more than ten wins could be a challenge for them.

In the AFC, the Patriots look like the surest thing. The Bills and Jets could challenge them a bit. The other divisions look messy with few clearly dominant teams. The Browns are likely the most improved team, but that AFC North is never easy to win.

Home field advantage in the playoffs is huge and right now I'd say the Patriots have the clearest shot at getting it in the AFC, the Eagles and Saints have the best shot in the NFC. The Saints may have the easiest overall path. Tampa and Carolina are unlikely to threaten them at all and Atlanta needs to rebound, but can they? I could see the Saints going 14-2 and taking home field advantage through the playoffs. The Eagles will likely be 12-4 or 13-3 and come in behind the Saints.

Of course, that will all change once the games really start. Injuries, surprising play by rookies and some vets, suspensions, and more will all change the course of the season a time or two. That's what makes the NFL great.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Giants GM Gettleman said that he has a plan, but no one can figure out what it is. If I were Eli, I would retire.

I checked out the Panthers message boards to find out about the Funchess signing. The general consensus is  that the Colts overpaid for him, and  the fans are glad he's gone. We'll find out later if this was a good signing. Compared to what other teams are spending, it doesn't seem like that much.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Funchess signing is just a one year deal also, so it's not a huge investment. If he performs well, the Colts can extend him. If not, they can flush him.

That Giants' master plan somehow involves two slot receivers and a 38 year old quarterback. If Eli plays this year he'll have made the most money over his career of any player. The player he'll beat? Peyton Manning. A little sibling rivalry is fueling Eli to keep playing.

I thought the Giants' plan was to tank for Tua, but signing Tate to a four year deal doesn't line up with that. Who knows what they're doing now? I'd figured they'd draft a nucleus for a future young QB then grab the QB next year. Now, I don't know what they're planning. The rest of the NFC East is pretty happy with their moves however. OBJ was one of the best deep threats but Eli lacked the arm and accuracy to hit him consistently, so now he's gone and defenses can focus on the shorter range passing game against the Giants.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Redskins have apparently decided they need a retired defensive back to cover the retired Jason Witten, so they signed Dominique Rodgers Cromartie. Not exactly a youth movement going on in the NFC East.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!