Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for July 2015!!!

I would think the Colts would want to go younger than Evan Mathis since they have Herremanns on the other side. Evan Mathis isn't really elite anymore and is "just a guy" according to most scouts and personnel guys I've seen quoted. If you're going with "just a guy" go with a young one you can keep in the position for a while.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I like Cherilus when he was a Lion, but he did seem to play inconsistently in Indie.  I wonder if anyone will pick him up.  He probably won't get the mega contract he had any more.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Older players still on the market may stay there until after the first game of the season. I believe the CBA forces a team to pay any veteran on the roster for the first game their whole salary for the year if they cut them, where if they sign the veteran players after the first game they can pay them on a game by game basis with no guaranteed money.

If a team has an injury or two the vet may get pulled in for a look, but often teams will still opt for a kid or two first. In some cases trading for a kid on a team with a lot of depth at the position.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And Tom Brady continues to prove how dumb he can be. You're summoned to appear before a league investigator who wants to examine your cell phone and you order it destroyed??? Yeah, all perfectly innocent people do that. Then you don't mention it was destroyed for several months? Okay, then. At this point I think he's actually lucky the commissioner didn't extend the suspension to six or eight games. Destroying evidence is never a smart move. Every sane lawyer will tell you to never destroy evidence, let the lawyer deal with the evidence, but don't make a bad situation worse by destroying/tampering with the evidence. That four game suspension is looking less severe all the time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

That might have been the determining factor: Brady destroying his cell phone so they couldn't see any evidence. I hope that he got a free upgrade from his cell phone provider after that.LOL.

Spoiler

Wondering if this will end up in court. Then Brady might get an injunction to play while the process is going on. I hope it doesn't come to that; Brady needs to just accept this and move on. It could have been much worse for him, although e has tarnished his name because of his actions.

The Arizona Cardinals have hired the first woman NLF coach: Jen Welter, who will be the linebacker coach. I don't know much about her, but if she can do the job  and  help the team play better, then more power to her! Leave it to Bruce Arians to do something out of the ordinary.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The hype for Jen Welter is a little over the top. She's been hired as a coaching intern (I believe) and their job is to shadow the position coach they're interning under and learn how that coach does his job more than anything. They get to sit in on meetings and learn how the coaching process works, but the job isn't a "real" coaching job. It's a good first step for a woman (or anyone interesting in coaching) though.

Pretty much every coach starts out at the intern level and then moves up, so she's climbed the first step of the coaching ladder. There are still a whole lot of steps ahead of her though. Coaches typically go from interns, to assistants to position coaches, to position coaches, to coordinators, then finally to head coaches. She's on the first step of the ladder and it's a start, but getting to that second and third step will be a bigger challenge.

Coaching interns are often dismissed after the roster shrinks back down to the regular size. They're good to have around when you've got ninety players on the roster as an extra set of eyes, but once the roster shrinks to 53 players they become less important. Don't be shocked or dismayed if she's let go in late August/early September. It won't be a sign that she's failed, or disappointed anyone, but more that she's not needed at that time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!