Super Contributor

Re: sad Gili hobo I saw at a restaurant yesterday.

On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/30/2014 AnnaBella said:

I think it is an over priced lower end handbag.... much like most of the GILI products.

So in your opinion, it is then ok to treat it badly???? Because in my opinion - when I pay that much for anything I treat it like gold.

Heck, I was carrying a Travelon and I was more careful with it than she was with her roma tote.

I do not understand why you are so defending someone else's handbag? It is not a child or a pet.... IT IS A HANDBAG... and not a great one at that. Isn't it her business how she treats something that is hers and she purchased? No one is laughing at you for being gentle with an inexpensive Travelon bag... that is cool, you have your right to do whatever you want with your STUFF.....

I really do not watch other people and what they are doing when I am out... I mind my business and they mind theirs. It just seems petty to be so up in arms about the treatment of someone elses handbag. Just an observation.

Honored Contributor

I guess I have a different perspective all the way around. While GILI bags are surely not high end bags they also aren't the 'junk' some seem to think. I can agree they can be priced a bit over what they're worth, but they're decent leather bags, especially the totes. As for 'abuse', some people simply don't baby their bags but use them and use them without reservation. Personally, I tend to fall into the middle. I don't tend to baby most bags, though some I do, but for the most part I do try to take reasonable care of them. Each to their own. This woman was clearly using her bag as she saw fit, and at the end of the day, it is her bag...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 11/30/2014 happy housewife said:

I think it is an over priced lower end handbag.... much like most of the GILI products.

So in your opinion, it is then ok to treat it badly???? Because in my opinion - when I pay that much for anything I treat it like gold.

Heck, I was carrying a Travelon and I was more careful with it than she was with her roma tote.

I do not understand why you are so defending someone else's handbag? It is not a child or a pet.... IT IS A HANDBAG... and not a great one at that. Isn't it her business how she treats something that is hers and she purchased? No one is laughing at you for being gentle with an inexpensive Travelon bag... that is cool, you have your right to do whatever you want with your STUFF.....

I really do not watch other people and what they are doing when I am out... I mind my business and they mind theirs. It just seems petty to be so up in arms about the treatment of someone elses handbag. Just an observation.

Oh go start your fight somewhere else - we aren't taking the bait on this thread.

Regular Contributor

Personally, I take care of any handbag (or anything else) doesn't matter what it cost. They never sit on the floor in a public place. Maybe in my girlfriends home and I know it's clean.

What other people do is entirely their business.

Contributor

OMG. Hilarious! I truly thought you were talking about a PERSON sitting on the floor, you know, sad, cause he's like a hobo. Then when you said he was like an ostrich I thought you meant that he was bent over, like his head was in the sand. Then you got to the wallet part and I was TOTALLY confused. Finally figured out you're talking about a PURSE.

Oh you made me laugh!

This will crack me up all day.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

The QVC Outlet has been selling those GILI Totes for $49.14 for several weeks. While that is certainly not chump change, it so not an outrageous amount of money for a leather bag either.

I am really "hard" on my bags and would never want someone judging me for how I take care of it (or neglect to take care of it). It is an object, not a person.

Trusted Contributor

I notice how people take care of their things. It says a lot about them IMO. I take care of all my things no matter what I pay for them but sometimes I buy things so they can take more abuse. Like my GILI Roma 2 in natural ostrich. I don't want to have to baby it when I travel. But I do baby the one I got in Espresso Lizard. It's dressier for me and I don't use it for the same things.

They are nice bags and I don't understand why so many people diss them. And even though I live near QVC and the outlet I don't see anyone else with one. I like not looking like everyone else Smiley Wink

KJPA
Honored Contributor

$200 is far from an expensive bag. Some women take good care of their bags, some don't. Some women carry one bag all the time and their bags take a real beating. Some women have a wardrobe of bags and we rotate them, so they never wear out. It doesnt matter, there is no right or wrong.
Super Contributor

I take extremely good care of my bags and will not use them if they get the tiniest flaw. I am a bit uptight and somewhat self-concscious. I think my handbags reflect my personality-LOL

I have a friend who is a generous, free-spirited, wonderful person. Her purses are always a wreck. She works with autistic children and always has toys and treats in her purse for them. She uses the same purse until it wears out, and it can start to look really bad. However, I don't think she really notices or cares. She's too busy enjoying life and can't be bothered to baby her bags. She dresses very nice and is well groomed. I actually really admire her.

I'm not saying everyone is uptight who has a pristine handbag (that's just me) but I am saying that some women just don't worry about their purses like others do.

Respected Contributor

I love handbags (cheap to very expensive) and I like to treat mine all the same.... they are all well cared for.