Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why are we so crazy about handbags? Especially Dooney & Bourke...

Well, I got all thru the Labor Day week-end sales and didn't buy anything. I did watch a lot of Netflix and Miss Marple...look at that snazzy bag she's carrying !!

Valued Contributor

I love Agatha Christie, too! Smiley Happy Books AND movies. Cute bag too Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

You ladies are making me laugh!!

I switch out my Dooney's when I feel like it and for some reason, everyone notices.

The question is always "Is that a new one?"

Actually it isn't.

I haven't bought a Dooney in awhile, but I do have a collection!

I just keep switching them out and everyone thinks it's new!

When I first began dating my now husband, he started noticing I was showing up with different Dooney's for different occasions, or just because I switched it out.

He asked me "How many of these do you have?"

I said "Start counting the changes." {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

momjules, whatever floats our boat, huh?! some people just don't understand. There's someone on here with the siggy something like "a friend asked why I buy so many handbags and I instantly knew we couldn't become friends?,,,,,,,,,,love that!!

Contributor

I too am crazy about my Dooney's. I've recently become obsessed with the Florentine line, but like I told my husband recently, at least I'm not hanging out at bars, drinking or doing drugs, so I'm not harming anyone. I'm just stiffing the Florentine leather from time to time Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I love handbags but I'm not so fond of Dooney.
Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 momjules said: I too have a dooney story. Before august 2 2007 I only used bags from kmart or walmart. Then I had a massive heart attack at 45 years old. I had the defibrillator three times. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes in July 2009. After that , in march of 2012, I was diagnosed with m.s. I saw a sign in my local outlet for 50% off dooneys at Christmas. Even though I had seen the "light" and understood how lucky I was and how "things" are not important, that sign drew me in. I went in that store and touched those floritine bags, I became hooked. At first I thought these bags would help me get my old life back( I am now disabled and don't work) I know now that they can't but I feel more alive when I carry theses bags. I am not a dressy person, but I feel like I have a nice bag as I'm walking along.( thank god I still walk) I have about 25 bags and they didn't bring my old life back but I still feel good carrying them. So for me I hold on to what helps and dooneys are doing that for now. Thank you

Wow! You have certainly been though a lot and though I've been lucky with my health I do understand what you are trying to say.....after so many health scares people might think why would a handbag make you happy? It should be people, experiences then things and financial security. However if it's a bag that just makes you feel good each time you carry it then it's as simple as that! It's often the small daily things that make us feel good.

While I'm not a handbag addict today, many years ago I would only use the same old bag day after day...a basic black and maybe something dressy for special occasions. Then I discovered Brighton, Coach and Dooneys. I don't have a large collection of Dooneys but I think they are very well made and some are so irresistibly cute! However they must work well for me and unfortunately the Dooneys that I think are so attractive tend to be too heavy with no outside pockets. I also tend to really like the extra soft & slouchy type of bags too.

Today I have a medium sized collection of bags from various lines. I can't afford a very high end bag and quite frankly would feel funny carrying something that cost over 1K. But I don't go for the cheap ones either. I also have a variety of bags that will work for the outfits I wear. If I don't have the right bag for a particular outfit then I will go and find just the right one.

Respected Contributor

I am so with you on this and the handbag in your pick is the one smiling at me today (except in pink)

Deb

Contributor

I do like my handbags, have a nice collection myself! However, I do not have not one Dooney and Bourke...just not my cup of tea I guess.

I really like Michael Kors myself Smiley Happy

Contributor

On 9/2/2014 birkin baby said: I love handbags but I'm not so fond of Dooney.

I have never gotten into this brand either for some reason?