Honored Contributor

Re: Velcro Straps - Love or Hate!

I like the velcro straps a lot.  My fingers dont work like they used to and I had to quit buying tie or buckle shoes.

I dont think my shoes look cheap because of the velcro and I have had buckle straps curl on the end of the strap.

@luvmyteddy4 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Love!  Will no longer buy shoes with ties.  

wILL ONLY BUY VELCRO SHOES , AS QVC NEVER HAS NARROW SHOES, NEVER UNLESS THEY ARE A LARGE SIZE SHOE. i BUY CLARKS SANDALS, MAKE THEM FIT. NOT EVERYONE HAS FAT FEET

Valued Contributor

I think they look a tacky and a bit masculine. They're usually on clunky styled shoes to begin with. That being said, I would wear them as exercise sneakers. The shoes I use for exercising have long ties. I have to make sure I tie them tight because once they became untied when doing aerobics. I stepped on the tie & fell.

Respected Contributor

I buy them because I have a narrow foot (AAA) and they're necessary for me to get the fit I need. When I buy them with buckles, I have to drill at least one more hole in them to get them to fit. I hope I never have anyone tell me they cheapen the shoes when I wear them. I would love to be able to buy cute shoes but will have to settle for the cheap looking ones.

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I buy them because I have a narrow foot (AAA) and they're necessary for me to get the fit I need. When I buy them with buckles, I have to drill at least one more hole in them to get them to fit. I hope I never have anyone tell me they cheapen the shoes when I wear them. I would love to be able to buy cute shoes but will have to settle for the cheap looking ones.

i buy from Maryland Square, they can fit the narrow foot, also they aren't cheap and certainly don't look cheap. But I can buy Clarks from the Q, with velcro , not clunky, very cute sandals.

Trusted Contributor

I usually buy slip-ons but do have a couple pairs of velcro closures. Until one has seen one's mother with a pair of scissors in her hand trying to cut a buckled strap that she cannot open one has no idea the level of frustration that person must have reached. Between her poor eyesight and her inability to use her hands on that small buckle . . . well let's just say that it just didn't end well.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

It wouldn't be for me. My mother loved Velcro straps as she aged.

Respected Contributor

Love-Hate relationship with Velcro.

Easy to get dressed as bending getting more difficult.  Hate it when the shoe strap gets caught on the car floor !

Will never buy a handbag with Velcro on compartments: too noisy when I need to get into the compartment !!!  And then later on, the curling up stage.....

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

Hate velcro straps. Makes shoes look cheap!

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I have this thing about Velcro straps on any kind of shoe really.

I feel they cheapen the shoe even the expensive ones.

I hate when the ends curl up although leather straps can do the same thing. I would rather see a buckle.

I have bought many that have already done this but I haven't bought any in a long time. I wish I could wear slides, thongs or clogs but my feet are narrow esp my heel and they flip right off or my foot goes sliding from side to side.

What's your preference?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Personally, I will no longer purchase any shoe with velcro straps. In the past I tried Vionic and Spenco. They were far too wide and was unable to get them to fit without them flying off my feet. 

I prefer ties and nice looking buckles. Around the house I wear Narrow Birkenstocks in summer and wide ones in winter with socks.

I still have some older Clark's with buckles that are for dress up.