Regular Contributor

I was just looking at a cute pair of Clarks shoes & read the item description.  It said they were made from "sheep leather"!   I had no idea sheep leather was used in shoes these days but it makes sense when you see the prices. I wondered how Clarks was able to keep some of their prices to a reasonable level.  That's it.  I know some companies split their leather to cut costs. That's why some sandlas feel like the straps are thin.  Oh well--live and learn.  Not sure how I feel about sheep leather tho.  Hmmmm.

Respected Contributor

@DesertD I don't think the type of leather would deter me from purchasing shoes. If I was in the market for "leather" shoes, I wouldn't think twice.What would deter me was reviews. If they didn't hold up well I would not purchase. If they were comfortable, cute and wore well, I would purchase at a good deal. 

Honored Contributor

@DesertD     Which desert do you represent?   I am in the Sonoran!  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

From the Clark's website:

Our story began almost 200 years ago when Cyrus and James Clark made a slipper from sheepskin off-cuts. At the time it was ground-breaking; a combination of invention and craftsmanship that's remained at the heart of what we do. And whilst now, as always, every pair of our shoes begins with a last carved by hand from a single block of hornbeam, advanced construction techniques, technologies and contemporary materials help us deliver perfection tailor-made for the modern world.

Ever since we began crafting shoes back in 1825, we’ve used materials we believe in. Durable, comfortable, and with a long life, we use leather for its incredible natural properties - which we believe also make it the most conscious choice when it comes to minimising the footwear industry’s effect on the earth.

We are fully responsible for the journey of our leather. We only use by-product leather from the food industry, which would otherwise end up as waste, and our suppliers must follow our stringent environmental, animal welfare and supply chain policies. We’re always working on improving the transparency of our supply chain, to make sure we’re holding our suppliers - and ourselves - accountable.

The Benefits Of Leather

Made To Last

No material delivers durability and longevity quite like leather. Leather shoes are an investment - and buying less, but better, helps to lighten our impact on the earth. Easy to care for and repair, it also ages beautifully, for shoes that only improve over time.

Comfort

Our customers deserve reliable comfort. As a natural material, leather allows skin to breathe, as well as shaping to feet for the most individual, feel-good fit and feel.

Recyclability

Leather can be repurposed over and over to help prevent it ending up in landfill. At the very end of its life, leather will biodegrade, too.

Clarks Responsible Leather

When you see the ‘Responsible Leather’ logo or hear us talk about responsibly sourced leather, you can be confident that these shoes have been created with extra care for the planet.

We are founding members of the Leather Working Group (LWG), an independent collective who make sure tanneries around the world are assessed to a common set of standards and promote sustainable environmental and business practices within the leather industry.

Our responsible leather is sourced from tanneries that work to these LWG standards by actively reducing waste and decreasing their energy and water use - or our leather is recycled or regrind.

We’re working to source more of our leather in these ways, to lighten our environmental footprint as much as possible - and we’re exploring more sustainable initiatives in our supply chain, too.

Honored Contributor

I love items made with sheep leather.  It is so soft and supple.

This type of leather is great for slippers, coats, gloves and wallets and bags.

UGG's shoes and slippers are made with sheepskin and are very popular.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sheep Leather!

[ Edited ]

🐑  Mary's Little Lamb says that using sheepskin is a very baaaad idea.

Next you'll be wanting gourmet veal chops.

Honored Contributor

@DesertD wrote:

I was just looking at a cute pair of Clarks shoes & read the item description.  It said they were made from "sheep leather"!   I had no idea sheep leather was used in shoes these days but it makes sense when you see the prices. I wondered how Clarks was able to keep some of their prices to a reasonable level.  That's it.  I know some companies split their leather to cut costs. That's why some sandlas feel like the straps are thin.  Oh well--live and learn.  Not sure how I feel about sheep leather tho.  Hmmmm.

@DesertD I know how I feel--I LOVE lamb chops.  So does a whole lot of the world.

Regular Contributor

I'm in Yuma, AZ. :-D

The sheep leather doesn't bother me. I've never heard of any item of clothing being made from it before. Guess I'm a leather snob.  I love the full grain leather like Miz Mooz shoes & boots.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@DesertD wrote:

@DesertD I know how I feel--I LOVE lamb chops.  So does a whole lot of the world.

It tastes so good.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."