Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION re: SNEAKERS.. fabric vs leather...

Cooling in the summer, more lightweight and stretch is better for people who have hard to fit feet or need to add inserts........

Respected Contributor

Leather may be less expensive, but I buy knit sneakers because I think the knit pattern is attractive and because I can put them in the washer.

I won't even look at sneakers anymore that I can't put in the washing machine.

I used to buy canvas sneakers, but they always got holes in them. The knit ones seem to hold up much better.

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush  manufacturing cost.

Valued Contributor

I think it is a lot of reasons.  Mesh is lighter and people prefer lightweight footwear, people like to be able to wash their shoes, you can get cute patterns and colors, and many people are not purchasing leather now for ethical reasons.  

Honored Contributor

I would guess price, or mesh is more cool in hot climates.

Honored Contributor

I have both fabric and leather, and a combination of fabric/leather.

They each of a different "look."  

I prefer the look of the leather sneakers.  Most of mine are leather - they look better with some of my "not so casual" pants when I don't need to wear "real shoes."

I do have several pairs of colorful fabric/leather that are really comfortable and are my "wear around" everyday sneakers.  Very colorful - look great with jeans and a jazzy top.

Fabric sneakers are my warm weather casual footwear with summer weight pants.  

Respected Contributor

Sneakers are athletic shoes for me.  Leather is too heavy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily wrote:

Leather may be less expensive, but I buy knit sneakers because I think the knit pattern is attractive and because I can put them in the washer.

I won't even look at sneakers anymore that I can't put in the washing machine.

I used to buy canvas sneakers, but they always got holes in them. The knit ones seem to hold up much better.

@Desert Lily @I've been buying washable leather sneakers from Propet for years. They lasted so long and came out looking like new. I buy the Wash and Wear Leather Slip Ons or the leather Stability Walkers type. I have not had to buy in quite a few years so I can't say whether there's been recent changes to the quality.