Respected Contributor

QUESTION re: SNEAKERS.. fabric vs leather...

I am curious, why many sneakers I see have a sort of mesh, stretchable fabric on top of them instead of leather. 

Does anyone know why?

Not currently in need of them just wondering.

Respected Contributor

Re: QUESTION re: SNEAKERS.. fabric vs leather...

@Flatbush   Probably cost is the biggest reason, plus the mesh fabric would be much lighter.  Lighter for the consumer, lighter to ship.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Yes, mesh is used frequently...inexpensive.  If you have a wide foot and the mesh expands it can stretch,,.it might not be the best choice.  Canvas might be a better choice.

Respected Contributor

I wear canvas slip on sneakers every day.  Very comfy.  

All my sneakers are made of fabric.  All canvas except one pair of Sketchers mesh Go Walk slip ons. 

Respected Contributor

For athletes like runners, shoes need to be as light as possible to increase speed.  My newest running shoes barely weigh anything!  

Respected Contributor

In the past, leather sneakers would be available for fall and winter, to wear in colder months.   Mesh in the spring and summer.  I think that the lack of leather is 100% due to companies wanting to save on their costs and offer the cheapest that they can.  I think when they talk about the benefits and modernity of a light weight sneaker is nothing but a sales tactic to make us think that we are getting the best sneaker possible.  It is all a sham.  I don't wear leather or suede coats, no leather handbags, and I rarely eat meat. But the reality is that I want leather sneakers in cold weather.

Esteemed Contributor

Leather sneakers are hot and I certain don't need hot feet. Plus you can wash canvas or mesh shoes in the washer.

Honored Contributor

I didn't look at what they were made of, but I did look at the collection of sneakers Saks was offering earlier this week.  Didn't need to know once I saw prices started about $750 and rose to over $1,000.  Just a glimpse into another world for me.

Honored Contributor

I try to avoid mesh because it stretches and reduces support when walking, mowing, exercising, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush    Easy answer, leather has become very expensivde.  Please note you no longer see leather jackets on QVC.  Fabric in comparison is cheap.  You can still get leather sneakers at better stores.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment