Frequent Contributor

Re: Cross body bag that is big enough, not for travel

today only, Lord & Taylor is having 25% off (code on their homepage, I forgot what it was) AND free shipping (ends at 11:59 tonight). I ordered a Dooney crossbody I have eyeing for a while that is bigger than most of their crossbodies...about 10.5 X 10.5.

The Dooney & Bourke new pebble leather cross body is great (A260501)

Honored Contributor

Kate spade cobble hill "ellen" is the best cross body ever. I have bought several;. Two for my granddaughters, one each!.. They chose black. I have black with straw, and all black. It is the strongest pebble leather, smooth and rich. I just love petting it. I have a collection of handbags, from all price points. I have over 175, mainly vintage. I use this ALL the time. It hangs well on the shoulder, and has an adjustable strap. The weight is light The inside is organized. It has a silky black and white stripe lining, that makes everything easy to find. It is about 10.2 inches long and 10 wide.The chain on each end of strap is gorgeous! It is dressy, and can be sporty as well. This is my go to bag. I have had mine for 3 or 4 years.

cobble hill ellen

On sale it can be purchased for 135 to 150 bucks. High quality. Red price is about 225.

Valued Contributor

If you weren't looking for leather, I would try Kipling. Also REI Tranquility Shoulder Bag. I've been unwilling to give up a larger bag so I switched to fabric. The nicest ones are the solid black Vera Bradley bags - a bit dressier. Hobo International bags for leather.

Good luck with your search

Honored Contributor

not very wintery but I love the Vera Bradley mailbag....tons of room but sits close to the body and very lightweight.....my ipad fits also

Honored Contributor

What's your weight limit and what size are you looking for? I really like my Dooney florentine saddle bag but I'm not sure it meets your criteria.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

My weight limit is about twenty oz. but that's not in stone. Size is an issue. Since this isn't going to be easy for me I'd like to go as large as possible. The G.I.L.I. and the perfect Dooney were really good sized. I suspect an east west would be better: as close to 11'' by 8"" by 3'' deep.

The Travelon I just got works; I just don't find it attractive.

I thought of the microfiber VB in a smaller bag. I'm curious to see how the crossbody I ordered is.

I went through my purses and pulled out some nice smaller ones. My problem is that no matter how light something is if it's large I find a way to fill it up and make it heavy.

Occasional Contributor

I just bought for my mom a nylon Coach. It is called Signature Nylon Spencer. It's available at Macy's and Zappos. It comes in four different colors.
Honored Contributor

I have several brands that I like in a crossbody. Check out Coach, Sak, Fossil and Tig.

Respected Contributor

Even though I'm not crazy about how the Travelon looks, the size and shape seems right, so I'm using that as my guide. It's an east west bag; right now I have two documents in legal size envelopes in it and an east west wallet comfortably. I should measure it. Most of the crossbody bags I'm seeing are north/south. I don't think north/south would work as well. I'm finding I don't need to carry all the stuff I normally do.

I started a little late. I want black if I'm spending big bucks and I'm finding colors.

I did find a pair of red leather gloves in a S at Amazon. Not a year for leather gloves. If I found them I certainly can find a purse. Amazon will keep me busy; they have lots of cross body bags.

I'll get to T.J. Maxx this wknd, see if the microfiber Vera Bradley works and go through my collection and start using a few smaller beautiful leather shoulder bags I have.