Super Contributor

I apologize if this issue has been discussed previously on the handbag forum. I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

I've seen discussions here that the bags which end up in Dooney Outlet Stores are "regular" purses, as opposed to specifically made for outlet distribution.

In contrast, I've heard that Coach DOES make a line specifically meant for only their outlets. That these are inferior in quality. And they make a higher-end, better quality purse for retail.

Is this true?

Honored Contributor

I shop the Coach outlet stores and their outlet on line and the sale racks at my local Lord and Taylor and I find the quality the same in all three locations

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor
Coach does have some bags made especially for their outlet stores and factory website along with regular merchandise. I love and shop Coach, but usually only the regular website......
Super Contributor

I've heard the same rumor, and have no idea if that is true or not. However, I do all of my Coach shopping at an outlet store. After careful examination , I can find no difference in the bags I purchase from the outlet and the bags I used to buy at retail. I've had outlet purchased bags for 10 or so years, and they have held up and look as good as the day I bought them. I will say that I take very good care of my Coaches- I have so many that I change bags fairly often and store the one not being used in their own Coach drawstring pouch. I can honestly say I am very happy with my Coach outlet purchases.

Hope this helps. Happy shopping.

Super Contributor
On 5/29/2014 hulagirl said: Coach does have some bags made especially for their outlet stores and factory website along with regular merchandise. I love and shop Coach, but usually only the regular website......

Hulagirl, does that mean that the items for sale in an outlet are a mixture of regular retail and made-for-outlet?

Respected Contributor

Irishrose

I have seen both at the outlets. I have seen some of their better bags but a lot of outlet only items. I love the Legacy Leather collection and have never seen those their.

Deb

Respected Contributor
On 5/29/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 5/29/2014 hulagirl said: Coach does have some bags made especially for their outlet stores and factory website along with regular merchandise. I love and shop Coach, but usually only the regular website......

Hulagirl, does that mean that the items for sale in an outlet are a mixture of regular retail and made-for-outlet?

Yes.....I think the regular retail in the outlets is mdse. that might be last years styles or some that didn't sell out from their reg. stores. You are able to tell regular from made-for-outlet styles by the serial number.......I forget how to tell, but Google how to tell the difference between Coach outlet/regular made bags and there are sites that tell you that info. I do think "F" might be included in the outlet-made bags.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Coach Bags made for the factory stores have an "F" at the beginning of the serial number. And yes, 90%+ of the bags in the outlets are made for the outlets. Dooney does not, at least at this time, manufacture bags specifically for their outlets.
Respected Contributor
The one thing I do like at the outlet store are the jackets.
Frequent Contributor
To add... I have owned many, many, many Coach bags. Both Retail and Outlet and I never found any difference in quality