Honored Contributor

Re: Alegria Compared to Vionic

I have many Vionics, Sketchers, Brikenstocks, etc., and love them all.

One time I tried Alegria, about 4-5 years ago. I loved how they looked; I loved how they felt; but the one thing that I didn't care for that others seem to like is the forward motion I got when I walked in them. I am referring to the way the bottom of their shoes usually curls up, giving you a forward motion when you walk, propelling you, rocking you forward.

At first I thought that was really good to have, but I felt a little bit like I wasn't in control in taking the next step; it was moving me forward by the way the bottom of the shoe is made. So I sent them back. I may have been able to get used to that way of walking, but at the time I didn't feel comfortable keeping it because of that single thing.

Maybe these views of the Alegria, then the Vinoics, then the Birkenstocks, and finally the Sketchers will show what I mean better than I can explain it.

You can easily see how the Alegria dips upward at the toe area. Hope this helps!

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.23.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.25.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.26.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.28.44 PM.png

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy   I too often prefer the style of the Alegria shoes, in particular Mary Jane's.  I saw a pair of clogs resembling Mary Jane's being presented during their last hour that I very much liked.  I honk I'm gonna check out what other styles they have before committing to the TSV.  

Thank you for sharing your experience.💝

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624   I'm glad you mentioned that about the arch, because that's part of my biggest problem.  I really do need one that supports a high arch.  That might be the deciding factor for me.  Thanks for addressing this in particular.💝

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler   Yes, I see exactly what you're talking about.  I forgot all about the "forward motion" aspect of these shoes.  I'm not sure about that either.  Thank you for bring this to my attention.  I really appreciate the pics you took the time to post too.💝

Occasional Contributor

If you have sever foot problems, and you need vionics, I have yet to find another line that compairs to Vionic. 

Others I have tried are too squishy in the foot bed, whereas Vionic is firm. Not good if you have severe P.F. Smiley Sad

*I wish I could wear less expensive sandals.

Honored Contributor

I started out wearing mostly Vionics since I also need good arch support.  I have since moved to a few other brands including Alegria. 

I like Alegria's sandals.  I don't care for the look of their shoes though.  They tend to be more comfortable for me than Vionics which I have found to be inconsistent and some just hurt my feet.  I have not had that problem with Alegrias which I find to be very comfortable. 

I also like how you can purchase a new footbed at the beginning of the season for an older shoe which makes it look new & fresh!

Respected Contributor

@haddon9    That's a very good point about Vionics sizing being very inconsistent lately.  I also like the idea of being able to purchase a new footbed.  Thank you for mentioning this, I'd totally forgotten about that.💝

Respected Contributor

I bought an Alegria TSV last year. I liked the upper and footbed but not the outer sole and returned them.

When I explored Alegria's website I learned that all three of those parts can be made differently depending on style, price, etc. So not all Alegrias are the same.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've worn Birkenstock's since the mid-1960's when my then-fiance (later husband) bought a pair for me while I was visiting him in Germany. When I stopped working, I gave all my heels and matching purses to charity! It was finally time to wear only Birkenstock's!

Over the years I have amassed an untold number of Birkenstock's in different styles, colors and some "special" pairs have patterns which are worn once or twice a year. I do rotate my Birks to keep them looking like new and because I never wear the same footwear twice in a week.

A couple of years ago, I tried Vionic . . . and hated that brand. Sent those sandals back the next day! Most uncomfortable things I'd ever put on my feet.  Never again.

Then, I tried Alegria. Loved the comfort, but wasn't sure about the rocker bottom. Kept them, but didn't really wear them for over a year. Then decided to take a neighborhood walk in them! Figured a walk on a level sidewalk would (hopefully) help me become used to that rocker bottom. It did!

Now I'm able to switch back and forth between various Alegria's and any Birkenstock without any problem. And I never fall or trip with the rocker bottom or the flat Birk's. It's like going from a sandal to sneaker to a heel . . . you simply learn to adjust to the different footwear. No problem.

ETA: I've never bothered to try Sketchers. They don't seem to have any kind of healthy support for feet at all. Why bother with "cushion" support when most people need heel, arch, metetarsal, and so much more? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady      That was an excellent description in comparing Birkenstocks to Alegria.  I think I'm finally understanding the reason so many people seem to like them.  I really don't think the rocker bottom would bother me at all either.  Like you said, it may just take a little getting used to.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the difference so well.  I really do appreciate it.💝