Honored Contributor

Re: A vinyl coated cotton bag for $215? A nylon bag for $150?? Really??

These bags have been these process for YEARS and YEARS. Isn't this a day late and a dollar short, not to mention not any of someone else's beeswax about what people buy?

Honored Contributor

All these designer bags, except for a few certain custom louis vuittons and hermes, are made in China by the same giant factories. It's a bunch of hooey. The profits on these bags are as high as the market will bear.

You can get a fabulous bag if you go on ebay and check out the vendors based in hong kong. Super high quality leather if you want it. And it's all from the same factories as the $500-several thousand bucks items.

Grab the book "Deluxe" by Dana Thomas if you want to know all about how the big fashion names have devolved from boutique in house companies to mass production.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Porcelain said:

All these designer bags, except for a few certain custom louis vuittons and hermes, are made in China by the same giant factories. It's a bunch of hooey. The profits on these bags are as high as the market will bear.

You can get a fabulous bag if you go on ebay and check out the vendors based in hong kong. Super high quality leather if you want it. And it's all from the same factories as the $500-several thousand bucks items.

Grab the book "Deluxe" by Dana Thomas if you want to know all about how the big fashion names have devolved from boutique in house companies to mass production.

I don't want one of those bags. I want a Dooney. I worked for it, paid for it, and it is my choice. Get over what others choose to buy.

Contributor

The Op would flip if she saw how many people in this neighborhood wear Goyard bags as if they were given away. Go to a school function and everyone has the same tote.
Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2014 LImom said: The Op would flip if she saw how many people in this neighborhood wear Goyard bags as if they were given away. Go to a school function and everyone has the same tote.

Might do the OP good...

Wink

Personally, I can't afford their bags... or their book!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 3/15/2014 judyakm said:
On 3/3/2014 Susan Louise said:

I have about 15 D&B handbags/totes/satchels/etc.

I only paid full price for one coated cotton bag (A216244...I got the black...QVC is the only place it is available). I LOVE the bag...worth every penny and MORE to me!

ALL of all my other coated cotton and nylon bags I averaged about 30-40+ % off plus FREE S&H and no taxes. I look for the deals. I even got 2 Florentine leather bags for 40% off!!!

My newest purchase is a D&B signature DB75 multi satchel I should be getting any day now. I got it at Boscov's for 15% off...FREE S&H and NO taxes...

Buy what makes YOU happy {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Very interesting thread...Susan Louise, where do you go to get 40% off of Florentine leather bags....most of the bags I see at TJM or Marshalls are the cotton coated variety...I understand the comparison between these and the higher prices of LV but for that much $ I would prefer leather personally...TIA!

judy

I only have 2 D&B florentine handbags in black and chestnut...(QVC # A220187) ...or at the D&B website (8L997)

The retail price is $318. If I bought it through the Q (they were selling it for the $318), it would have cost me about $360 with S&H and taxes. If I bought it now through D&B, I would at least have saved on S&H and no taxes either.

However, I got them both during the 12 Days of Christmas on the D&B website last December. They were on sale for $199 each...so I got both of them for $398...with no S&H or taxes!!! So, not exactly a BOGO deal of buy one get one FREE, but pretty darn close {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I like this mylon tote.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness we live in a free society where we are all able to choose to buy a midrange mass-produced purse off a tv network. Or several. Or none.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

Count your own money and not anyone else's.

Honored Contributor

On 3/20/2014 nlwilliams said:

Count your own money and not anyone else's.

This is a wise saying!