Esteemed Contributor

Re: A vinyl coated cotton bag for $215? A nylon bag for $150?? Really??

I'm carrying my first printed, coated cotton bag now. I may purchase more handbags like this because they are light weight, which is good for my shoulders. Also a great travel bag when it rains. Mine is Fossil but I saw attractive D&B bags at Macy's -- on sale. Ideal for warmer weather. I'm not making judgments on how others spend their money on handbags, as I buy expensive shoes that fit well and last a long time. I love Fitflop sandals, but some may say they are too expensive for what you get.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Frequent Contributor

I love handbags! Now that said, I can not even consider the LV'S, Pradas, etc., but I do love my Dooney, Coach & Kors bags. And I am not ashamed to say that I now do not buy one unless I can get it on sale at a good price or from an outlet sale. And I have found NWT Coach bags at my local consignment store that I have purchased with credits from my consigned items that have sold. I just recently "bought" a vintage coach crossbody in mint condition in the classic Coach style. (i know its old cuz the inside embossed tag indicates it was made in the USA !!!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}). I used a polishing brush on this bag and it is beautiful. The leather on this bag is so substantial that it will probably endure another 20 years.

Honored Contributor

If it makes you feel any better OP, wherever you are..., I'm sending back a coated handbag next week... Oh, I still have several that I "over-paid" for, but I happen not to like the color of this one... For those inclined to pay frivolously for nylon and coated bags, beware the Eva satchel in dark taupe. It isn't bad, but it isn't good... but if you want what you want, DB has that color and red reduced by quite a bit... Silly me, I bought the red months ago, so it's too late to return that one...

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I sold a large nylon Nina on eBay for $129.95 a few weeks back. It was black with the tan leather. I paid $155.00 for it a couple of years ago and carried it just a few times. Since that is such a rare color combo it was snatched right up. I guess you think she was stupid.

I sold it and bought A234702 in black with the tan leather and I love it! To me, $139.00 for a D&B is a great price, even though it's not all leather. I have many D&B leather bags that I paid $400 for, so I suppose some might think I am stupid for that. Heck sometimes I think I'm stupid for that, so we're even ;-)

Women aren't stupid.......they know what these bags are worth and they know what they want.

Super Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Porcelain said:

All these designer bags, except for a few certain custom louis vuittons and hermes, are made in China by the same giant factories. It's a bunch of hooey. The profits on these bags are as high as the market will bear.

You can get a fabulous bag if you go on ebay and check out the vendors based in hong kong. Super high quality leather if you want it. And it's all from the same factories as the $500-several thousand bucks items.

Grab the book "Deluxe" by Dana Thomas if you want to know all about how the big fashion names have devolved from boutique in house companies to mass production.

You honestly believe that? Sorry, but those Chinese vendors sell counterfeit Coach and they do not sell on eBay!

Occasional Contributor

On 3/3/2014 terrier3 said:

I have a LV Speedy 350 that is mostly canvas and cost $650 12 years ago.

It's a classic...these bags on sale today are not...but if you want it and can afford it, why not?

Totally agree. I have 16 Louis Vuitton bags and they are well worth the money. My bags are all the classic styles, and they will never look dated. Pricey, yes, but the workmanship is impeccable and they last from one generation to another. I think Dooney has beautiful bags and I still carry my commemorative satchel and my cabriolet satchel. While LV is my first love, Dooney is my second.
Occasional Contributor

On 3/15/2014 judyakm said:

LV experts...just saw a "replica LV" bag pic on the internet...is "replica" code for "knockoff"??? Again, thanks for your help!!!

Replica is a step higher than knock off, but still counterfeit and illegal. There are great looking fakes out there, but definitely inferior, made in China and a total waste of money. Can't compare to the real thing, and anyone who knows Louis Vuitton can spot a fake right away. I have 16 LV's, all bought from the LV boutique to make sure they are authentic.
Super Contributor

How did this thread come back again? It ended in early March? What????

Honored Contributor

As consumers, we need to take a stand and not buy purses with these ridiculous prices. We have caused these price increases to stick because we are willing to pay what is asked. stop paying these high prices en mass and prices will drop. We have allowed cow skin to be a much higher priced commodity than it was, and now we are allowing other compositions for purses to command higher prices, too.

Trusted Contributor

Sellers can always find brand loyalists or status seekers who will buy just about anything with the ""right"" label on it. Can you imagine the smirks these fashion execs wear to the bank when they're depositing the take from selling $20 (if that) cloth/plastic bags for $200 or so apiece?