Respected Contributor

question and a comment about baking a cake

so yesterday dd is making a cake from a mix. i see her pour the batter into the pan, and since i didn't see her grease the pan, i asked if she forgot that step.  she gives me the "look" and says, if there is oil in the batter, you don't need to grease the pan. I'm like what???  (she is taking a culinary class in hs)   so i'm thinking ok, maybe this is something new.  let's just see. i checked the package directions, and sure enough, it says to grease the pan.  i am secretly hoping the cake is going to stick to the pan. but no, came out no problem.  anyone else heard of this??? 

second question. cake came out very moist and good, but really crumbly. anyone have a idea why that might be? 

i can't think of a reason. like i said, not overbaked or dry at all.  thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Re: question and a comment about baking a cake

I've wondered about that myself.  Brownies (from a box) include vegetable oil, so why is it necessary to grease the pan or pyrex dish.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I've wondered about that myself.  Brownies (from a box) include vegetable oil, so why is it necessary to grease the pan or pyrex dish.

evidently it's not necessary. BUT i would sure hate to be bringing the brownies/cake to a party, and skip that step, and have the item stick.   i do have a culinary "image" to keep up.  lolol

Esteemed Contributor

Grease or not to grease.  I'd put a splash in - just to be on the safe side.

Crumbs - what kind of cake was it? (pound cake - normal white/choc)

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Grease or not to grease.  I'd put a splash in - just to be on the safe side.

Crumbs - what kind of cake was it? (pound cake - normal white/choc)

@fthunt  boxed german chocolate.

Honored Contributor

My biggest mistake when I first started baking cakes was to mix it too long, which resulted in a cake that fell apart when cut.

I taught my girls to mix the cake batter only until there are no visible spots of dry cake mix in the bowl.

I no longer grease and flour like I was taught decades ago, but I always spray the cake pans.   

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

so yesterday dd is making a cake from a mix. i see her pour the batter into the pan, and since i didn't see her grease the pan, i asked if she forgot that step.  she gives me the "look" and says, if there is oil in the batter, you don't need to grease the pan. I'm like what???  (she is taking a culinary class in hs)   so i'm thinking ok, maybe this is something new.  let's just see. i checked the package directions, and sure enough, it says to grease the pan.  i am secretly hoping the cake is going to stick to the pan. but no, came out no problem.  anyone else heard of this??? 

second question. cake came out very moist and good, but really crumbly. anyone have a idea why that might be? 

As odd as this sounds it could be the size of eggs she used. I always use extra large eggs when baking because for some reason they seem to make things stick together better.

Honored Contributor

Maybe that is true for today's mostly non-stick selection of pans.  On old fashioned aluminum uncoated, you wouldn't be able to blast that cake out!  Was it a nonstick pan?  That I can see probably would work.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Maybe that is true for today's mostly non-stick selection of pans.  On old fashioned aluminum uncoated, you wouldn't be able to blast that cake out!  Was it a nonstick pan?  That I can see probably would work.

no, not a nonstick pan

Respected Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

As odd as this sounds it could be the size of eggs she used. I always use extra large eggs when baking because for some reason they seem to make things stick together better.

large eggs. btw, this morning not as crumbly. even though last night, the cake was completely cool. shrug.