Trusted Contributor

is aquafaba.  it is the water from canned beans.  just subit for eggs, egg yolk or eggwhites

1 T  \= 1 yolk

2 T =  2 egg whites

3 T = 1 wholeegg.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  I just found this egg substitue today in an email. I would like to find out the shelf life in the fridge and if it can be frozen.  Great to know as I don't keep egg white on hand.  And the article didn't state it but I'm thinking white beans only - black bean "goo" would not make a good looking merangue.

Trusted Contributor

since it is a luquid, i don't know why you couldn't freeze it.  i think that black beans would not work but i never use canned blackbeans.

Trusted Contributor

i think we bothget the same emails

Honored Contributor

I don't suppose you can make it into an omelette???

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

i have no idea.  but  since it is    a n extra from a can o fbeans, might be worth a try  who knows how it will turn out. and ifi t doesn't turn out, what are you out?  

Respected Contributor

When I first read this post about water from canned beans as an egg substitute, I wondered what it was about, didn't really understand it until I received the same email from Allrecipes..  Don't think I would use this as a substitute for anything..  If I didn't have an egg I would do without or wait until I could get to a grocery store...

Honored Contributor

This concept is not new.  Mostly the canned water from Chick Peas is used.

If you use this water, have some Beano handy.  The cooking water absorbs a lot of the compounds that cause gas in beans.

There is also the possibility of developing leaky gut syndrome if bean water is consumed on a regular basis.  

Aquafaba is not recommended for pregnant women  or those trying to become pregnant.  It can case infertility and/or uterine bleeding.

The bottom line is, it is best to just rinse this down the drain and stick to egg whites or better egg substitutes.

Honored Contributor

So what is that bean goo anyway? Never really read the ingredients ; wondering if there is alot of not so good for you stuff in it and what the sodium content is-----and why is it the consistency it is---inquiring minds want to know Man Wink--guess I could google it tho.