Respected Contributor

help with some company dinner ideas

having the pastor and assoc pastor from our new church over for dinner. we are new transplants from the PNW.   i am new to the whole "cajun cooking" type thing. learning but not what i want to serve "real cajun cooks" lol

i've been trying to think what would i serve back home??? didn't entertain back home. house was too small.

is meatloaf or something too ????

personally, i'm not a big fan of meat, (dental issues) which is why i lean to meatballs, meatloaf, i could sure use a idea. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: help with some company dinner ideas

For the veggies I would do a variety of roasted veggies.  Sweet potato, zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, squash, carrots etc.  Would be easy for you to prepare and would cover a variety of vegetables people would like to eat. 

Valued Contributor

What do you think of the idea of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and vegetable, rolls and small salad?   I think it would be a comforting meal that is easy to eat. 

Honored Contributor

I made corned beef brisket and creamed cabbage today, and was totally surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The meat was quite tender and easy to chew.  

Meatloaf is fine, if that's what you want to make.  

I'd also consider:

Lasagna and salad

Baked ham, Tennessee onions, a green veg, tossed side salad

Respected Contributor

A beautiful big roasted chicken with a rainbow of roasted veggies, garlic and herbs

Honored Contributor

@kittylooThey just might like a break from the stuff they are used to.

How about a pasta dish? Spaghetti, meatballs, garlic toast, ?

Also  baked ziti is a nice pasta dish and easy to prepare. Years ago my DH and DS loved it.

Since you are not familiar with cajun cooking you don't want to experiment on company 

Respected Contributor

If you don't know their tastes I would have a simple chicken dish. Maybe Aunt Bertie's potato recipe from this site. A mixed salad and Glazed carrots.

Crusty rolls.

Honored Contributor

I would serve a roasted chicken with the veggie trimmings or chicken marsala, or maybe a pasta dish...no lasagne, some people don't like cheese.

Regular Contributor

You could ask in advance if theyhave any dietary restrictions and then give a couple of suggestions of what you'd like to serve. Swedish meatballs sound great to me as does lasagna or a baked pasta dish. I just had the family over today and we had corned beef.

Trusted Contributor

I like the idea of asking for any dietary restrictions.  That might give you some ideas of what they like to eat. 

My go to comfort meal for company -- a rump roast in my crock pot with root veggies or green beans and mashed potatoes.

I also make a baked tilapia wrapped in proscuitto dish that is easy but looks fancy.  The recipe's all over the internet.  That I serve with shrimp cocktail appetizer.  Maybe green beans or pasta salad as the side.  

And for company you have to serve a good dessert and coffee.  I usually just buy something and then joke that hubs made it that morning.  LOL.