Honored Contributor

further adventures with my new Vitamix

Yesterday I made almond milk and holy cow, what a difference it is compared to the store bought kind. It is rich and creamy , not too thick, like 2% milk maybe and does have a very almondy taste. Added just a touch of honey and vanilla to it. It is wonderful on cereal and this a.m, I made a choc peanutbutter smoothie with it and the angels sang...........I also have alot of the almonds left after squeezing it thru a mesh bag , so I put them on a cookie sheet in the oven at low temp to dry it out. Today I will whirl them into almond flour. My next adventure will be making cashew milk. Stay tuned!!Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: further adventures with my new Vitamix

[ Edited ]

I'm interested in learning more about these nut-milks.  I've never tried making almond milk!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have the Wolfgang Puck equivalent of the Vitamix.  It was a TS a month or so ago for $149, only thing I didn't get was the cookbook and online its selling for $99.  No thanks.  I have been looking for a cookbook but can't seem to find one.  Will have to watch WP when he's on again and see if I can grab it then, it's not even online at HSN.  

I've done the smoothies and tried split pea soup. Wasn't impressed with soup.   This morning after making smoothies, I put water in it for the self clean feature, turned it on and the top wasn't on tight.  Oh well -- my kitchen counters are sparkling clean now.  

Interesting about the different milks to make. I'm not a milk person. But I did make bread crumbs. 

Helen852
Valued Contributor

There is s recipe book called "DIY Nut Milks, Nut Butters & More"    The table of contents give recipes for nut milks, nut butters, how to use the pulp, breakfast, smoothies, no-bake treats, baked treat, ice cream.  Lots o healthy thing to do with nuts.  I got from my library and then decided to buy it.

Occasional Contributor

If you like hummus try making that.  It is easy, inexpensive and better than store-bought.  You can adjust the recipes to your taste too.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nut milk bags are sold in stores and on line.

They are great as they can be re-used time and again, dry very fast, and strain everything extremely well, including yogurt.

I also use my Vitamix, for all my nut milk recipes.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  Did you figure out how much the almond milk cost you to make?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@wagirl, congrats on your new Vitamix purchase!!! Smiley Happy

I'm really enjoying reading how you are test driving it. Thanks for sharing your new adventure with all of us!! Smiley Happy

Feel free to try out my My Vitamix Green Smoothie recipe Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No I haven't tried to figure out the cost of making the almond milk. I will do that next time. I only made a small batch as you know how it is when you make something and it is terrible--all that money for the products in the trash. Might be more pricy but then it doesn't have all the junk in it that store bought has.the nut bag is a must--makes things so much easier.

I have done the splatter decor from a blender with the top askew only it had a smoothie in it, not clean water------yikes what a mess!!

bebe--yes I do make a super green smoothie that is very close to what your recipe is. I drank one every day when I was going thru chemo for the 5 months and swear on a stack of bibles, that I didn't suffer nearly as much from treatment as others I have chatted with, did. The power of the greens--ohmmmmm!!!

I will find that book at my library to read about making things with nuts. My house hold doen't eat/drink dairy much so that should be interesting.

Haven't made any soups yet altho I think I will try the recipes that are tried and true as I've heard the recipes from Vitamix aren't that great. Hummus is a really good idea!!

I did get a dry container with blade too, so am anxious to try that out. Has some recipes for making bread in it.

Thanks to all who responded. Having such fun with my machine!!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl

How exciting...love thinking about all the possibilities!

Cost of plant-based milk:  Yes, raw nuts are expensive..BUT maybe that's the point.   We're not meant to be drinking gallons & gallons of the stuff.  Another consideration w/ home made nut milk is ZERO additives...it's a clean version.  Also...the nut flour you can make from the leftover nuts is a price consideration, as well.    The way it can get REALLY cheap is with grain milks...rice, oat.

With summer coming, there are the 'blended salads' with are much like a cold veg soup.   I make a pea soup made from frozen peas, OJ, 'nooch', dates, garlic, s/p.  It's so bright green & pretty....!