Occasional Contributor

for Shrimp lovers

[ Edited ]

I have learned this recipe from another Asian cooking webiste. if you can handle the heat and like shrimp , marinade them( after you peel the shrimps) with sriracha Asian hot sauce, with some oil , will some mince garlic,  .....some salt to taste , or if you want to go Asian all the way (loll) , add some fish sauce, or , no need to add salt at all ( I don't ) ....marinade for a couple of hours and skew them and grilll .....the taste is so good that I was addicted to it.

I dont have a specific recipe but just a general idea .  the bigger the shrimp the better (  of course right )

the final products will be in nice red color , spicy and yummy !

this can apply to the chicken wings too , but this need to marinade longer Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks asiangal...that sounds really good.Do you have any great stir fry sauce recipes.I love Asian food and would eat it for every meal! I am forever shopping in our Asian market but can't read the interesting bottles and jars so my purchases are mostly limited to fresh products.They have the nicest produce for less money than Costco.I once followed a woman who was showing her DIL what to buy for her DH that were family favs.I just stuck a few of those items in my cart too...

Honored Contributor

Re: for Shrimp lovers

[ Edited ]

Sounds delish! Thanks!

I wish I could find a good recipe for rice. Like chicken fried rice or stir fry or something (not plain white rice). I have tried all kinds of recipes & they are ok, but not great.

Trusted Contributor

@AsianGalThank you for this shrimp recipe.  It sounds wonderful.  I'll let you know how

it turns out once we try it, hopefully tomorrow. 

Respected Contributor

Re: for Shrimp lovers

[ Edited ]

Hi ChiliPepper,

Click on these links below to see, hear, and learn about making the perfect rice dishes ChiliPepper, and I know you will find them very interesting.

They are very informative, and the fried rice and other foods listed are easy to prepare, and very  tasty tooSmiley Happy.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/05/how-to-make-perfect-asian-rice/

How to make Chinese Fried Rice Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUz4fJs2olA

Benihana's Chicken Fried RIce Video & Recipe:

http://www.popsugar.com/food/Benihana-Fried-Rice-Recipe-Video-31058511

ChiliPepper when I have Company and they request Asian Fried Rice dishes, we make them.

I use a well seasoned wok. Also Asian rice and condiments are a must, but you can also use a heavy bottom fry pan which is deep, and the key to good fried rice is keeping the food moving, then when one food is done either remove it and add the next food per the recipe or leave it in and push it to the side.

Just follow directions and voila...there you go great Oriental friend rice.

Whether it is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, or any other type of Asian oriental rice dish, they all are easy to make if you just follow instructions, and remember to cut everything the same size, so it cooks quickly and evenly.

Also try and buy very low or no salt added Asian products, as I find many products in general to be extremely saltySmiley Happy.

They have low sodium soy and other Asian condiments. We also use Asian Chili Oil, Chinese Chili Paste, Hoisin Sauce, Black Bean Sauce, Japanese Sesame Oil, Rice Wine VInegar, and no salt Soy Sauce, as well as other items.

There are also many Asian veggies in Oriental Vegetable Markets as well as in most supermarkets too, and they also carry imported Asian products as well. Asian food is quite an interesting adventureSmiley Happy.

You can also make your own fresh tasting Asian style mustard, and keep it in a sealed jar, in the fridge.

(Buy one small container of Coleman's mustard powder from your supermarket spice section). Add a few teaspoons into a jar. Then add some water and stir well. The strength of the Chinese Mustard will be based upon the quantity of the ingredients you use. It can be stored indefinitely in the fridge, and is home made, so it is fresher and so much tastier, than those mustard packets they sell and give with Asian take out..

Please let me know how you make out, ChiliPepper, and if you need help give me a shout out in the Recipes Category.

I hope you enjoy your Asian rice culinary adventuresSmiley Happy.

Honored Contributor

Thank you!

Respected Contributor

My pleasure......Enjoy!

Valued Contributor

@AsianGal wrote:

I have learned this recipe from another Asian cooking webiste. if you can handle the heat and like shrimp , marinade them( after you peel the shrimps) with sriracha Asian hot sauce, with some oil , will some mince garlic,  .....some salt to taste , or if you want to go Asian all the way (loll) , add some fish sauce, or , no need to add salt at all ( I don't ) ....marinade for a couple of hours and skew them and grilll .....the taste is so good that I was addicted to it.

I dont have a specific recipe but just a general idea .  the bigger the shrimp the better (  of course right )

the final products will be in nice red color , spicy and yummy !

this can apply to the chicken wings too , but this need to marinade longer Smiley Happy

thanks for sharing this!!   sounds very easy for us seafood lovers!  

Honored Contributor

Hi all!  Smiley Happy  I also love shrimp but I haven't had any for some time.  Maybe it's time again.

I have a recipe that I got from Cooking  Light eons ago for this shrimp and orzo dish that I really love.  I also just like it with cocktail sauce and so many other ways.

But one thing I've found is that I have to watch the origin of shrimp when I buy it.  I've found that for some unknown reason if I get shrimp that is from Southeast Asia I get this weird thing with my throat closing up and feeling itchy.    I can only figure that maybe I'm allergic to some aspect of it (?).    Anyway, if I just wash the heck out of it, it's not so bad.  I learned that one time when I discovered the problem the first time and I had a whole bunch of it left.  Well, I didn't want to waste it so I tried that and it went down better.  

My husband is totally NOT into shrimp but he will eat it breaded and fried with some sort of sweet sauce.   They had a coconut shrimp dish ata Outback that he loved.  We used to go there from time to time before the food got bad.  They started getting cheaper meat or something and it was never the same again.  Smiley Sad