Frequent Contributor

Anyone have a nice easy recipe for dumplings to put in stew?

Honored Contributor

I like southern style fluffy dumplings (vs. the flat noodle type) and I use Bisquick.

2 cups Bisquick, 2/3 cup milk, stir till combined, drop by large spoon onto boiling stew/chicken, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes uncovered, then another 10 minutes covered.

The recipe is also on Bisquick's box and website.

ETA: Before I put the lid on for second 10 minutes, I sprinkle the dumplings witth garlic salt, just my preference, but if you have a favorite spice, go for it or use none at all!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I use canned biscuits, not the large Grands

I cut each one in quarters.

Gentle simmer, covered, takes at least 10 minutes.

@cinderford wrote:

Anyone have a nice easy recipe for dumplings to put in stew?

Frequent Contributor

thank you

Honored Contributor

Last week I cooked these on top of a pot of chicken corn chowder.  Recipe torn out of a magazine at some point in my life:

1 1/4 cup flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup milk

1 tbsp vegetable oil

Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and thyme in bowl.  Stir in sour cream, milk, and oil until just combined.  Drop teaspoon-fulls on top of pot of boiling soup.  Cover and simmer until cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Honored Contributor

Just mix up a recipe of biscuits and in place of rolling them out to cut, dip a large spoon in hot broth, cut off a piece of dough and place it in the broth.  When all of your "dumplings" are in the broth, spoon some broth over the top, reduce the heat, and cover to cook the tops.  I always thicken the broth a little before putting the dumplings in.Smiley Happy

I also like to put chives in my dumplings and carrots and onions in the broth.

Frequent Contributor

think I'll try these never heard of making them with sour cream.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the recipe I've used for years (from my mother). They really take very little time to mix together.

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

salt/pepper/seasoned salt (your choice)

1/3 cup milk

2 Tbsp. melted butter

1 egg, whisked

Stir dry ingredients together. Add milk, butter and egg to flour mixture and stir just until mixed together (batter will be sticky).

Drop by teaspoons-full into hot broth. Cook on medium UNCOVERED for 10 minutes, then  COVER pan and cook an additional 10 minutes.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I like southern style fluffy dumplings (vs. the flat noodle type) and I use Bisquick.

2 cups Bisquick, 2/3 cup milk, stir till combined, drop by large spoon onto boiling stew/chicken, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes uncovered, then another 10 minutes covered.

The recipe is also on Bisquick's box and website.

ETA: Before I put the lid on for second 10 minutes, I sprinkle the dumplings witth garlic salt, just my preference, but if you have a favorite spice, go for it or use none at all!

@KingstonsMom OH these are go good!  I sometimes use chicken broth in place of milk and add some dried herbs (whatever you like--I use Italian mix) and cook the 13 and 13 minutes!

LOL!!!  That's a tradition.  I'm sure 10 minutes is just as good.

Respected Contributor

@cinderford .....My friend of mine makes the best dumplins...like ever !   I asked her how she made them and this is exactly what she said as follows....sorry, no specifics on amounts...i pour some white corn meal (plain) in a bowl, and add some flour, and some salt, and mix it up with hot water till i can make little patties out of it and put them in a pot of boiling greens