Honored Contributor

Most people have eaten what seems to be a common Alfredo dish .... chicken, pasta and broccoli.    Tasty and quick.

I recently improvised .... using nice chunks of cooked salmon, with peas and onions in an Alfredo sauce, over noodles, with a little dill thrown in for good measure.  It was even better than I thought it would be!   

Of course, I started thinking about other possibilities.   

So ......  to all the experienced cooks here ....  what's YOUR favorite Alfredo dish?

TIA!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: YOUR FAVORITE ALFREDO DISH?

I just LOVE the recipe on the package. (American Beauty). It's a fast and easy side dish for anything.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I just LOVE the recipe on the package. (American Beauty). It's a fast and easy side dish for anything.

@sweetee2

What's in it?

Valued Contributor

I make the basic alfredo sauce and depends on what's in the fridge. I usually throw in some cajun spice. I love broccoli but am allergic so I use peas or asparagus. I'll throw in chicken or shrimp. Usually add red/orange/yellow peppers too. (I do like green peppers, but if I eat them at nght they can give me nightmares. Yes, it is weird that the green ones do and the other colors don't. I have never been a typical medical issue type person.)

cookin

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44Your dish sounds fantastic!  

My favs are shrimp and chicken.  I don't allow myself to have alfredo very often.  It's nickname is "heart attack on a plate"!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

My favs are shrimp and chicken.  I don't allow myself to have alfredo very often.  It's nickname is "heart attack on a plate"!

@ECBG

LOL .... I've heard that.    It all depends how much you actually eat .... a 1/4 cup or so won't cause major caloric damage ......  and I noticed there is now a Light version available,   (This is one of those things I'd rather buy than prepare from scratch.)

Esteemed Contributor

I like chicken and broccoli Alfredo the best.  

Recently I tried it with big sausage links.  I browned the sausage and drained then added low fat/low calorie Alfredo sauce from the store.  In a separate pot, I made the noodles then drained them and added to sauce and sausage links.  It was pretty good.  I used Johnsonville sausage which comes in mild or spicy.  Just wanted to try something different!  Of course, we went for a long walk afterwards to burn off some of those calories. 😊

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to try your salmon idea @Tinkrbl44 Thanks for sharing!  DH loves salmon and I think he'll like that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG

LOL .... I've heard that.    It all depends how much you actually eat .... a 1/4 cup or so won't cause major caloric damage ......  and I noticed there is now a Light version available,   (This is one of those things I'd rather buy than prepare from scratch.)

@Tinkrbl44.I used the recipe from Olive Garden in my Advanced Foods classes and they were in love!

Respected Contributor

I use Martha Stewart's Fettucini Alfredo Recipe back from her show. I use it. My daughter uses it too. Basically, three ingredients in the sauce - the water you boiled the pasta in, real butter, and a good Grated Parmesan cheese ( do not skimp on getting a good cheese). 

I like it it with either Italian sausage simmered in water or boneless chicken strips that I sautéd In EVOO. Then just cut up either into bite size pieces after cooking and cooling.

My daughter uses her recipe too - and, she is a Fettucini Alfredo Freak! But, I am sure you can find it online.

I have sautéed sliced fresh mushrooms for it too - that's yummy too and a few less calories - but, we're talking Alfredo here, so you  can not be too worried about that 😉!

-Texas Hill Country-