Respected Contributor

Re: Would like 2 Soup Recipes Please, Cabbage and Smoked Sausage & Lobster bisque

can't thank you ladies enough, copied all and will also check out allrecipes, thanks again, These all sound great though.

Honored Contributor

Re: Would like 2 Soup Recipes Please, Cabbage and Smoked Sausage & Lobster bisque

This is my recipe for seafood bisque. You can use lobster if you wish or a combination of lobster and other seafood or fish. It is delicious and served in a friend's restaurant and is always a much requested menu item. I never make it the same way twice; however, it usually depends on what fish/seafood I have on hand and sometimes what seafood or fish is on sale at the time.

SEAFOOD BISQUE/CHOWDER

½ cup butter (or margarine)

l large onion, chopped

6 stalks celery, chopped

5 or 6 cooked, diced small potatoes

1 lb. medium shrimp*

1 lb. scallops*

1 lb. whitefish (cod, tilapia, whiting, haddock, etc.)*

1 tbsp. chopped parsley

2 bay leaves

2 tsp. OldBay seasoning (or to taste)

1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/8 tsp. black pepper

1/8 tsp. white pepper

3 cans 10 oz. cream soup (1 celery, 1 mushroom, 1 chicken)

1 pint half & half (or cream)

1 ½ quarts milk (2% or regular)

Sauté onion and celery until tender. Add cream of celery, mushroom and chicken soup, half and half and milk. Add other ingredients except shrimp. Bring soup to simmer stage (not boiling) and simmer for 15 minutes, then add shrimp and continue cooking for apx. 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer soup to Crock Pot and keep on warm setting.

Note: You can do almost anything you want with this recipe. Use all of one particular fish. Use *clams, *imitation crab, *oysters, etc. in place of shrimp and scallops, for example. Use lobster with a combination of other seafood or fish. Add more onions and/or celery. Use less potatoes. Add more Old Bay. Use all milk or more or less half and half. Each time you make it try something different.

Yield: serves 16 to 20 people

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

Here's a recipe I saved that a past poster, Angel25, shared with us. I made it and it's pretty tasty!

Ginny's Kielbasa Soup

1/2 lb kielbasa, sliced at an angle
1 medium onion, sliced, and separate rings
3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 large carrots, peeled and angled
1/2 medium head cabbage, sliced in 3 -1" piece
3 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 7 cups water to just cover the cabbage.
butter
salt and pepper

****Next time try some stewed tomatoes in it.

In a Dutch oven layer the above ingredients in the order listed. You should only have one layer of each.

Salt and pepper the top layer. Cover with the bouillon. Cook on high until it comes to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Just long enough to completely cook all veggies.

Remove from heat, serve with butter, salt and pepper, and a warm loaf of crusty beer bread.

Angel25

Honored Contributor

CARAWAY CABBAGE SAUSAGE SOUP

1 large onion chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 large carrot chopped
2 large cloves of garlic minced (I like more)
1 turkey kielbasa, cut lengthwise and then bite size
2 t caraway seeds
1 16oz package coleslaw or shred it yourself
1- 14 oz diced tomatoes and juice
7 cups homemade chicken stock
3 large red potatoes, chopped bite size
1-1/2 t Italian Seasoning

Saute onion, celery and carrot in some olive oil over med high heat until soft.Add turkey kielbasa, caraway seeds and garlic and sauté another minute or two.Add coleslaw and sauté for about 5 minutes.Add diced tomatoes, chicken stock, potatoes and Italian seasoning.Bring to a simmer to cook the potatoes.Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Honored Contributor

I cannot get the title to stay on top on the above soup. Anyway it is called CARAWAY CABBAGE SAUSAGE SOUP. Very quick to make if you have pre-made the chicken stock.

Honored Contributor

Oh DiAnne, You are a peach! That soup Post #14 was delicious and a double thumbs up from DH!

I made it over this COLD weekend and it was fantastic! It reminds me of Irish Soup (the caraway seeds remind me of Rye, which reminds me of my Irish Dad!) He would have loved it!

Your recipes never disappoint!!

Much thanks!!

Valued Contributor

With the cold winds coming now, these soup recipes will be tried for sure. Two wonderful catagories of soup.

Honored Contributor

On 11/3/2014 RespectLife said:

Oh DiAnne, You are a peach! That soup Post #14 was delicious and a double thumbs up from DH!

I made it over this COLD weekend and it was fantastic! It reminds me of Irish Soup (the caraway seeds remind me of Rye, which reminds me of my Irish Dad!) He would have loved it!

Your recipes never disappoint!!

Much thanks!!

RespectLife - So glad you and your DH enjoyed the soup. It is one of my favorites. I have a pot of Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup on the stove right now!

Respected Contributor

thank you so much. With the cold weather coming(want 28 tonight) it sure feels like soup weather to me.