Honored Contributor

Re: What's the purpose of eggs in mac and cheese?

@Kachina624 

I can find much better use for chilis than mac 'n cheese.  Man Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher wrote:

Yes, the eggs are a binder. I grew up with the Southern, Soul food version of macaroni and cheese. The kind with eggs.

The eggs set up to create a firm casserole that you can slice into squares to serve -- it's not a creamy, saucy dish like some are use to.

I enjoy both kinds. But when I got married my dh liked the creamy version. This is the kind his mom made. She also added Velveeta with the cheddar cheese and no eggs. I started making it and my sons, of course, also like this kind. Through the years, I sometimes combine the two recipes making a less but still somewhat creamy version. Sometimes I have a craving for the Southern kind and make it(cheddar cheese, eggs. No Velveeta).

You can literally slice it or cut it! Both are delicious. It's the texture that's different. I guess it's what you're use too!😋

@Starpolisher   Yes, that's the way I like Mac & Cheese (on the firmer side).  I can not eat that creamy, runny, soupy looking stuff - Don't even want it on my plate.

Honored Contributor

To me, there are a million better things to do with cheese (GOOD cheese) than mac and cheese.

And that yellow plastic stuff?  OH my goodness!!!!!  Isn't that how the super ball was invented?  When someone dropped some. . . Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I was taught to make them without eggs.  Actually it has never occurred to me.