Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: Vitamix-Jan Mueller recipes

The tomato sauce recipe is not the soup. It had only afew ingred. & cooked in the vitamix for @ 6 min.
Frequent Contributor

On 1/8/2015 poke said: The tomato sauce recipe is not the soup. It had only afew ingred. & cooked in the vitamix for @ 6 min.

You may want to check out the on air presentation video for the K41984 near the end of the video (25.47) he makes a soup with the ingredients you mentioned that includes tomato paste.

Occasional Contributor

Sorry for staying on the tomato soup recipe subject & thanks iQue & Sylva for posting the recipe but I still don't see the tomato paste ingred, or bread crumbs mixed in at end. I recently rec'd a reply @ it & they said it was on pg. 66, under Pappa al Pomodoro, subtitled Tuscan Tomato Soup. Unfortunately, I have the vm6000, (48 oz )book & a smoothie recipe is there. Also would have liked the tamper holder, for my older model. Wish the container that Jan put the mixer in while making the soup for 6 min. was avail. It muffled the sound.
Not applicable

Jan's recipes all seemed easier than the ones in the cookbook. I am also looking for recipes for the dishes he made in his demos. I would like the vanilla ice cream recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

Jan's are easier - he has a crew of prep people who cut the onions, slice the tomatoes and dice the cabbage LOL His is all prepared and ready to throw in the machine. We have to do the labor from start to finish. Where can I hire some prep folks?

P.S. I just bought the Vitamix and the cookbooks are first class. Not sure the vanilla ice cream is in there - but I'll check tomorrow and post it IF it hasn't already been posted.

Cheers!

Trusted Contributor

The soup some are looking for pappa al pomodora tuscan style tomato soup recipe is in The Art Of Blending. It does call for tomato paste.

Occasional Contributor

Katey, for those of us that do not have The Art of Blending book, maybe you could post the tomato soup recipe with exact measurements of ingred., including the paste, bread crumbs, etc. Thx ?
Frequent Contributor

Chikitty posted on another discussion:

I found "The Art of Blending" on williams-sonoma.com & just received it. Here's the recipe.

pappa al pomodoro (Tuscan-style tomato soup). Serves 4.

3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling

1 small red or yellow onion, sliced

3 cloves garlic, sliced

9 fresh basil leaves

Kosher salt

Pinch of red pepper flakes

4 cups (32 fl oz/1 l) water

1 lb (500g) ripe red tomatoes, peeled & seeded, or 1 can (14oz/430g) peeled San Marzano tomatoes

2 tbsp tomato paste

4 oz (125g) day-old Italian bread

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Hailing from Tuscany, which is known for its bread-thickened dishes, this soup can be eaten warm or at room temperature in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak. Traditionally it's served nearly dense enough to eat with a fork, but this version is looser. Dust each bowl with cheese & dig in with a spoon.

Warm the 3 tbsp olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, 5 of the basil leaves, 1/2 tsp salt, & the red pepper flakes & saute until the onion & garlic are very soft but not browned, about 10 minutes, turning down the heat if the onion or garlic starts to brown. Remove from the heat.

Add the water to the blender container. Scrape the contents of the pan into the container. Add the tomatoes & tomato paste. Put the lid on securely & turn the dial to the Hot Soup program*. Blend until the machine turns itself off (this takes about 5 minutes, steam will rise from the lid when it is finished). While the machine is running, cut or tear the bread into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces.

When the machine has stopped, remove the lid & add the bread pieces. Put the lid back on securely, turn the dial to variable speed 4, and pulse 3 or 4 times to chop the bread. without pureeing. Taste & add more salt if needed.

Divide the soup among soup bowls, drizzle each with olive oil, and sprinkle with Parmesan. Garnish each bowl with 1 of the remaining basil leaves and serve.

* Hot Soup Setting: Start at variable speed 1, then gradually increase to the machine's highest speed & run for 5-6 minutes. Not all models are programmed to turn off automatically.

Reminder: Always set the variable speed dial back to 1 after blending. That way the machine will be at the right speed next time you start it.

Honored Contributor

I want the recipe for the tortilla soup.