Valued Contributor

Venison tenderloin need advice!

Hello, a neighbor gifted us with venison tenderloins.  My children are coming home for the holidays and everyone is excited about having a venison dinner- no pressure, right?  PS all have had venison before and like it.   So I am calling out to those experienced with cooking game meat.  What recipe would you recommend for this cut of venison?  I have a venison cookbook but it is not as helpful as you would think.  Thank you in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Venison tenderloin need advice!

It has been a long time since I cooked one, but I would probably marinate it like you do a pork tenderloin.  Maybe in some wine?  Port? Soy sauce and maybe a tad of maple syrup or brown sugar?  Oil and spices. . . that sort of thing. 

Occasional Contributor

I always pan fry them in butter.    Add morel mushrooms if you have them - delicious !!  Enjoy.

Super Contributor

@chvall99 . . . .my husband is a hunter so I’ve prepared venison tenderloin many times. I’ve always had it cut like steaks and have always treated the same as a filet mignon. It is always delicious unless it is over cooked.

Good luck and wishing you a very merry Christmas and a delicious family dinner.

Hugs . . . Beth 

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

2 lb venison tenderloin cut into 2" chunks

1 qt apple cider

2 lb bacon

24 oz your favorite barbecue sauce

Place venison in 9"x13" baking dish, pour in apple cider, cover, and refrigerate overnight.  Pat dry in morning and discard cider.  Place venison back in dish, cover with barbecue sauce, cover, and refrigerate.

Let meat sit at room temperature for 1/2 hour before preparing to grill.  Wrap each chunk of venison in a slice of bacon secured with toothpicks.  Discard barbecue sauce. 

Preheat grill to high heat and brush grate with olive oil.  Place venison on grill without pieces touching.  Turn occasionally, until bacon is slightly burnt (15-20 minutes).  

Honored Contributor

The only venison I ever eat is from white tail deer harvested locally.

The meat is mild.    

I have had venison from other deer that is very game-y.

Those go in the crock pot, done like a chuck roast.

But the mild venison tenderloin is sliced in about 1" slices, breaded and fried in a skillet like you would fried chicken.  Make milk gravy with the drippings.

I like it marinated a bit in some Dale's Seasoning before frying.

dales.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Long time since I cooked any venison, but they must really love you!!!

The tenderloins are the best part!

Seems I pan fried them very simply in butter, with just a bit of salt and pepper.

Made a HUGE mound of sweet onion and sliced mushrooms, pan fried in butter (yes, there's a lot of butter!*) to serve on the side.

*This meal was a once a year treat.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for helping me with your cooking tips and recipes.  I am definitely going to use your advice!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My advice to anyone who has never cooked venison is to ask a hunter how to cook it.   Don’t rely on a basic cookbook for this one.   

The gamey smell and taste in venison is based on how quickly the innards were removed.   You can get rid of this by soaking the meat in milk for at least 2 hours before cooking.   

Tenderloin cooks quickly.   We slice into medallions, coat with seasoned flour, and fry in a hot skillet about 2-3 minutes on each side, then add a few tablespoons of water or beef broth, cover and turn the heat off.   My family prefers gravy made with equal parts milk and beef broth.   Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

I always cut them in small - 1 inch squares or cubes - seasoned with s/p and don't forget a flash sprinkle of garlic powder!  Cook tenderly in butter to medium well-rare.  I don't use seasoning slop which will cover the flavor of venison.  Otherwise you might as well be eating shoe leather with no flavor of the actual meat.

Butter Butter Butter