Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

ON NO!   That would be a dreaded sandwich for me!  I alwaysl take tomatoes off a sandwich (except for a BLT) because they drip and get the bread wet, and avocados because they are squishy!   And I'm not fond of cheese on sandwiches (but like cheese with bread or a cracker by itself). 

Yes, I know I know but I can't help it!

Woman Sad Woman Embarassed

@Sooner 

You have to get yourself some "hearty" bread.  Smiley Wink  

We have bakery nearby Paris Baguette .... wonderful stuff!  Also Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have good bread!  It won't get soggy. 

If you mash the avocado .... just spreads like peanut butter.  And ... just leave off the cheese!

@ALRATIBA LOL!!!  No, we have all kinds of hearty bread!  We actually bought WF bead today and love it so much we buy extra and freeze it ( think it was their ancient grain house brand) and we bake our own bread in a bread machine and by hand.  SO that "ain't it!"  

It's just that tomatoes drip and I HATE that.  Now I will sit at the counter and lean over and eat a good BLT in the summer and let it drip on the plate!  LOL!!!!  Is anything better than that?  And I WILL put some avocado slices on that if they aren't too soft!  LOL!!!! So I'm sort of there! 

You're dealing with one of those here!  A kid who had to have her ice cream in a cup!  I finally got old enough to deal with a cone and drips. . . but. . . 

See, you didn't know that about me did 'ya?  LOL!!!!  This is a big confession for me.  I know y'all out there are laughing. 

Super Contributor

Hi @ALRATIBA 

I love veggie sandwiches,too, Here's one I used to get at a little sandwich shop when I lived in Ohio called

California Veggie

Choice of bread; (I always got the works)

I always chose rye ... spread with cream cheese

provolone cheese slices

tomato slices

green pepper slices

hot pepper rings

cucumber slices

red onion ring

sprouts

drizzled with ranch dressing

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

@Tabbycat 

OOOOOOH!  That sounds so good!

Honored Contributor

I’m a serious carnivore, but I love a hearty veggie sammich, especially if they are roasted...peppers, zucchini, eggplant, etc.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor
We used to go to a takeout sub shop for lunch at work, and they had a veggie sandwich, too..I replicated it at home with surprising success. Theirs had mushrooms, diced tomatoes, pimiento, sliced (then sliced again) zucchini. and sliced summer squash. It was topped with thinly-sliced provolone, spooned into French or Italian bread, wrapped in wax paper, and heated to melt the cheese. I think I'd like the additiom of almonds (we always have sliced on hand). I haven't made this in a while, so I appreciate the memories--and my renewed interest, since I'm not the meat-eater in the house lol!

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

I won't eat avocado (unless it's guacamole), mushrooms or swiss cheese.   Wonder how almond and tomato would taste?   Nah, I'll skip the whole thing.   

Honored Contributor

There was a sandwich place in town in the late 70's called Yonny Yohnson--they made the BEST veggie sammie I have ever tasted. Was made with avocado, sprouts, red onions, cream cheese maybe tomatoes on a moist, grainy, brown bread. OMG !!!!! I used to put one of those together at home and it was nearly as good. 

Respected Contributor

My husband and I get Veggie sandwiches from Subway. So good !

Respected Contributor

Everything but the Almonds would be good on sourdough toast.