Trusted Contributor

VITAMIX PEANUT BUTTER QUESTION

I've had my Vitamix for a good while, but have never tried making peanut butter.  Today we (my husband and myself) tried it.  We followed the instructions EXACTLY on the Vitamix Web site, but our peanut butter turned out much too runny.  I feel like maybe we processed it too long (per the instructions to wait for the "low growl"). 

Does anyone here have a suggestion on how to get the smooth peanut butter we were looking for - not too runny?  Is there a magic number of minutes to process the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Honored Contributor

Re: VITAMIX PEANUT BUTTER QUESTION

Which Vitamix do you have?

I have the 13 in 1 and I made peanut butter once with no problem.   What kind of peanuts did you use?

Even with the easy peasy way to clean it, it wasn't worth it to me to make any more.

@12andcounting wrote:

I've had my Vitamix for a good while, but have never tried making peanut butter.  Today we (my husband and myself) tried it.  We followed the instructions EXACTLY on the Vitamix Web site, but our peanut butter turned out much too runny.  I feel like maybe we processed it too long (per the instructions to wait for the "low growl"). 

Does anyone here have a suggestion on how to get the smooth peanut butter we were looking for - not too runny?  Is there a magic number of minutes to process the peanuts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Honored Contributor

I make peanut butter all the time but do not follow any directions.  My peanut butter is warm and runny (great for dipping apple slices) when finished but then I refrigerate it and it firms up quite a bit.  

Trusted Contributor

@software

I have the Vitamix 7500 (64 ounce container).  I used dry roasted unsalted peanuts.

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne - I actually have mine in the refrigerator right now.  I haven't checked yet to see if it has firmed up any.   I was hoping not to have to refrigerate it -- probably would rather not use cold peanut butter.  Just a personal preference.

Valued Contributor

I always keep peanut butter in the refrigerator, my mother never did.  I think it would firm up at room temp too just take longer.  I only made it once and didn't try again because of the messy cleanup.  

Honored Contributor

@m0rgan

I agree!  I still do it but the clean up is sure not how they portray it on TV!

Honored Contributor

I have made p-nut butter in my VM and it was runny too, but then firmed up in the refer. I wonder if spraying the container with PAM would help get the stuff out of the thing easier ? I do have a narrow scraper that fits into the grooves of the container that works well. Maybe I'll try the spray and report back.

Honored Contributor

I make peanut butter in the Vitamix using lightly salted dry roasted peanuts. The longer you let it run the warmer it gets so the peanut butter will be runny. I keep it in the refrigerator. If you don't like it cold let it sit on the counter to room temperature before using. I also find if you make a milkshake or smoothie after making the peanut butter it's easier to clean out. I put hot soapy water in it & let it run. I put clean water in it & let it run again. I made a milkshake the other day when I made peanut butter using frozen coconut chocolate walnut yogurt. DH said YUM!!! LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz, you are a woman after my own heart! Making a milkshake is such a great way to assist the Vitamix in the cleanup! Heck, I add low calorie almond milk, a teaspoon or two of good cocoa powder and a few drops of chocolate Stevia!!!!

Smiley Happy

My husband laughed at me for buying the Spurtles, but I love them-especially for getting thick foods out of the Vitamix.

I find that sometimes the traditional method of cleaning won't always clean the container, so I hit it with a little white vinegar and clean the sides with a sponge, then run it on high for about a minute. All of the "smokeless" disappears.

Poodlepet2