Respected Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

For some reason, I had never cooked turnips until today.  I am a "senior citizen," so I have cooked many meals over the decades.  

My PCP is working with me to get my weight and blood pressure under control.  Some days I eat in a healthy way; other days I just can't stand to be good.  Anyway, I have been looking for ideas about healthy foods to cook to add variety to my meal plans.  I read on line that turnips are a good choice.  They have nutrients we need and are relatively low calorie, depending on how they are prepared, of course.

Today I peeled turnips, cut them into wedges and roasted them.  I drizzled a little olive oil on them and sprinkled on a little salt.  I probably should omit the salt next time-I can just use pepper instead.  Much to my surprise, I really liked them!  Who knew?

Any tips or healthy recipes for me for turnips?  I have seen a way to braise them too-I think I will try that soon. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Mortons makes a substitute salt, in a little salt shaker. Amazon around $7.50, lasts a long time , but is very good if you are salt restricted, as I am.

Valued Contributor

There are different types of turnips with different tastes. The ones I love most are "salad turnips" or Japanese hakurei turnips. They're very small, just a little bit larger than a big radish. They have a very mild taste, almost sweet. They lack the tang of the big green turnips. They taste wonderful sliced up in salads. And the greens taste great too. Around here I've found them only at farmer's markets during the summer. They're definitely worth searching for.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 ,I  nibble on raw turnips all the time.  They are a staple veggie in our home.  My father had a HUGE vegetable garden and root veggies like turnips were standard plantings.

When I met DH, his family ate squash like we ate turnip.  The first time I had it, I thought it was turnip so I got a surprise.  I have grown to like squash although my preference is turnip.

I use turnip steamed, boiled and in soups and stews.

Lately the texture of many is woody and the turnip is very hard which is a real turnoff.  When they are like this, I let them age a bit before I cook them.

@maximillian 

Honored Contributor

The only way I've cooked turnips is to boil them, boil some carrots then drain and mash them altogether.   Surprisingly my kids loved this dish when they were young and still request it at Thanksgiving.  No added butter or salt needed!

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308  Sorta the same for me but I steam them.

Respected Contributor

My mother fixed them often, always cooked in the turnip greens. I always liked them but haven't made them since she passed. They were always very readily available in our grocery stores here in the south and she had a brother who was a farmer who would supply us with fresh. I'll have to look for them again, would like to try them in my air fryer with a little olive oil and also mashed as some have mentioned. Good luck on your new healthy journey.

Valued Contributor
Parsnips
Fresh Thyme
Honey
Olive Oil
1. Scrub the parsnips clean, then slice in half lengthways.
2. Parboil the parsnips in boiling salted water for 10 minutes, then drain well.
3. Pick the thyme leaves. Toss the parsnips with the honey, thyme, a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, butter and 2 tablespoons of oil.
4. Tip into a roasting tray and arrange in one layer, then roast for 40 minutes, or until golden.
Honored Contributor

Turnips have always intrigued me--not sure if I have tried them before? Think putting them in a stew sounds good. so you peel them? And are they like a potatoe? Do they get mushy if you cook them too long? It's been hard finding any veg this time of year---but always there are turnips and parsnips. 

Esteemed Contributor

Boil the turnip greens with ham and include the roots!  Great Southern dish!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1.  Do you also eat Rutabagas?  My sister and I have a running joke about them. Mom cooked some once and made us try them.  We agreed they were the nastiest thing we'd ever eaten.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment