Respected Contributor

For some reason, I had never cooked turnips until today.  I am a "senior citizen," so I have cooked many meals over the decades.  

My PCP is working with me to get my weight and blood pressure under control.  Some days I eat in a healthy way; other days I just can't stand to be good.  Anyway, I have been looking for ideas about healthy foods to cook to add variety to my meal plans.  I read on line that turnips are a good choice.  They have nutrients we need and are relatively low calorie, depending on how they are prepared, of course.

Today I peeled turnips, cut them into wedges and roasted them.  I drizzled a little olive oil on them and sprinkled on a little salt.  I probably should omit the salt next time-I can just use pepper instead.  Much to my surprise, I really liked them!  Who knew?

Any tips or healthy recipes for me for turnips?  I have seen a way to braise them too-I think I will try that soon. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

@maximillian  I knew nothing about turnips but good for you for cooking something new, good for you & it coming out well - good job!

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian  I wasn't a fan when I was young. Mom always made mashed turnips when we had fried rabbit. I ate them, but wasn't too impressed. I now like them very much. Lately, I've roasted them, with much success, and also used them in stews instead of, or along with, potatoes. 

Honored Contributor

@maximillian.  I had a co-worker once who ate a turnip raw every day like one would eat an apple.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It's funny that of all vegetables out there you zeroed in on a turnip. I bet if you added broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, turnips, sweet potato or a squash and did a roasted veg combo with a little olive oil or whatever it would be delightful. I've done this, it is! The sky's the limit for creativity. You could make a healthy vegetable soup too. 

Respected Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

For some reason, I had never cooked turnips until today.  I am a "senior citizen," so I have cooked many meals over the decades.  

My PCP is working with me to get my weight and blood pressure under control.  Some days I eat in a healthy way; other days I just can't stand to be good.  Anyway, I have been looking for ideas about healthy foods to cook to add variety to my meal plans.  I read on line that turnips are a good choice.  They have nutrients we need and are relatively low calorie, depending on how they are prepared, of course.

Today I peeled turnips, cut them into wedges and roasted them.  I drizzled a little olive oil on them and sprinkled on a little salt.  I probably should omit the salt next time-I can just use pepper instead.  Much to my surprise, I really liked them!  Who knew?

Any tips or healthy recipes for me for turnips?  I have seen a way to braise them too-I think I will try that soon. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

@maximillian 

Sounds like you're off to a great start!  I've eaten turnips all my life peeled with salt like a radish.  I love roasted turnips, radishes and parsnips.  I also slice sweet potatoes and roast those medallions, broccoli, brussel sprouts with bacon and onions, asparagus with balsamic vinegar topped with parmesan when taken out.

All pretty much tossed with olive oil, salt & pepper.  Not sure if any of these could work for you but they're healthy.

Tried kale chips last week, yuk lol.  I use kale a lot in dishes but roasted by themselves didn't do anything for me.

Turnips also can be used in a stew along with parsnips, potatoes and the usual carrots along with celery.

Valued Contributor

@maximillian I love turnips and there are many ways to fix them.  I like to bake them just like scallops potatoes, but since you are watching what you eat you could omit the cheese or add a little low fat cheese they are delicious. I also eat them raw and sometimes dip them in ranch dressing for a snack. Good luck with your healthy journey.

Honored Contributor

To me it's a toss up which is worse:  Turnips or turnip greens.Woman Tongue  Because relatives raised them, they were a frequent item on our table when I was growing up.  

Washing the greens was one of my chores--which didn't add to their allure.

Respected Contributor

I wash, peel, dice into inch sized cubes, boil in slightly salted water until tender, then put a pat of butter on top.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian,

Aren't they good?!

I have always liked how they taste. I am getting ideas too and never thought of the idea of replacing potatoes with them or scalloped turnips or roasted.

I know this sounds kind of strange but I've always liked them just boiled and that's all. I have had them with some added butter but I just like to taste them plain.

There are so many good cooks here and next time I get groceries I am going to get some turnips and experiment some. I forget about things even when I like them!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"