Respected Contributor

Turkey breast & dark meat question

Has anyone cooked the legs, wings and thighs separately from the turkey breast?  This year I purchased separate multi piece dark meat packs as well as a separate breast.

I have a tried & true America's Test Kitchen turkey breast recipe that comes out really moist and the gravy is great.  I've made it many times but have never made dark meat parts on their own.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Turkey breast & dark meat question

Neither I nor anyone, I'm close to, are dark meat fans, so, I don't have any good recipes,

I suggest, you just Google your request.  I'm betting you'll get lots of options.

Respected Contributor

@rockygems123 The Spruce Eats website has an article dated 9/20/19 by Linda Larsen that gives a very clear explantion of the process and timeline to cook the turkey breast and the other dark meat sections.

Hope this will help you.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

We always buy turkey breast so I don't have a clue.

I did search the forum to see if anything came up. Found this from David Vanable.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Blogs/Bacon-amp-Red-Wine-Braised-Turkey-Legs/ba-p/4221560

Trusted Contributor

I have roasted turkey parts of both kinds. I do them exactly the same, except I keep an eye on the internal temperature, which seems to make the breast come out before the hind quarters. The dark meat also may have more fat, so I try not to let those pieces sit right in the roasting pan.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@rockygems123 The Spruce Eats website has an article dated 9/20/19 by Linda Larsen that gives a very clear explantion of the process and timeline to cook the turkey breast and the other dark meat sections.

Hope this will help you.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 that looks great, thank you!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We always buy turkey breast so I don't have a clue.

I did search the forum to see if anything came up. Found this from David Vanable.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Blogs/Bacon-amp-Red-Wine-Braised-Turkey-Legs/ba-p/4221560

Thank you @Nightowlz , that looks delicious and I appreciate you looking!

Respected Contributor

Thanks @KaySD that is a great tip to keep an eye on not only the temp but also the extra fat on the dark meat.

Regular Contributor

When we cook turkey whether it's the whole bird or just parts, we use the cooking bags. My Mom did turkey this way when they first came out with the bags & I'm 70 so it's been our go to for years. The turkey, whole or parts, always comes out great.

Honored Contributor

Most people cook a turkey too long.

I saw Emeril do this once.

He prepared his whole turkey, put it in the oven, cooked it until the breast temped at 155.

Pulled only the breast, cover in foil, rest.

He put the dark meat back in until 160

cover in foil, rest.

If you want the presentation of a whole turkey, you can put everything back in place.