Respected Contributor

Has anyone cooked one?  I got an email from Costco selling  a bacon wrapped, boneless, stuffed turducken.  It's made from turkey thighs, duck and chicken breasts with Italian sausage stuffing. Costs about $80 and weighs approx 6.6 lbs.  

What do you think?  I'm seriously considering getting one for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

I have never tasted one, but I did watch how they were made on TV. It was really interesting and I enjoyed learning.

Eighty dollars is a lot of money to put out for something that might not taste so good. I wonder if Costco will pass out samples..

Trusted Contributor

Wish I could answer directly about that one item, but I’ve never tried anything like that. However, I can assure you that every food product I’ve bought from Costco by ordering to get it shipped or by purchasing at a Costco location was fresh and delicious.  

It will be high quality and carefully wrapped for delivery. I’d try hard to make sure I was home whenever it is scheduled to arrive. The value for the price is  entirely subjective. But I’ll bet it will be an attractive, tasty food you’ll want to share. 

Respected Contributor

If I needed turducken, I'd get it from a local market.  It is not cheap, so $80 sounds OK,maybe, considering the source and how it must be shipped.

A market near me advertises turducken for a price close to that, but for a much larger amount of meat than just 6,6 pounds.

Similar meat markets exist in other cities, so you might want to check online for any that sell turducken.

http://www.cajunmeatcompany.com/TurDucKen.asp

Honored Contributor

That doesn’t interest me at all. I have heard of turducken but I didn’t realize how expensive they are. Enjoy if you get one. I’d have to sample first.

Honored Contributor

I have tasted, but not cooked, turducken and am not a fan.  Based on what was leftover after that meal, no one else liked turducken either.  

I do not like duck, and that taste ruined the taste of the turkey and chicken.  There was also a nasty stuffing with mushrooms inside that I did not touch since I am allergic to mushrooms.   

Thankfully there was also plenty of turkey at this meal, since the turducken bombed.   

Valued Contributor

Not appealing to me at all. I don't eat duck, bacon, or sausage - WAY too much fat.

Esteemed Contributor

Have had it the last 2 Thanksgivings at one son's house and everyone enjoyed it. I don't know what brand but they do most of their shopping at a Stop & Shop, maybe that's just in the Northeast, I don't know, so that's probably where they got it. The stuffing in the one they've had was also good. They have quite a few people so also had a small turkey. Both years the turducken seemed to be enjoyed by all as far as I could see.

Respected Contributor

I have had it a couple of times. We got them at a local Cajun market/restaurant here.

We all liked it. Different. Kinda pricey, but worth it I think.  But no, I would not buy one from anywhere except a Cajun place, they know their stuff when it comes to seasoning and cooking.

It’s a speciality item even for that place, something not always available. But, holiday time comes around and the place takes orders like crazy.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I'd rather cook the turkey and duck separately!  I LOVE duck!