New Contributor
Looking for great Potato Soup Recipes... please share yours...It's cold outside and I would love to make some soon! ??
Respected Contributor

I have Pioneer Woman's potato soup cooking on the stove right now. I added ham to mine.

Honored Contributor

Believe it or not, I just made some tonight - a double batch! I make it often this time of year and my family loves it.

Baked Potato Soup (single batch)

4 Lg. Baking Potatoes (about 2 ¾ lbs)
2/3 C. Butter (I always use the real thing – think it makes a difference)
2/3 C. All-purpose Flour (gluten free flour blend works great)
¼ tsp. White Pepper
¾ tsp. Salt
6 C. Milk
1 C. Sour Cream

Thinly sliced Green Onions (I snip w/a kitchen scissors)

Crumbled Bacon (I snip before frying – easy & faster. Or better yet, buy the premade real bacon crumbles at Costco)

Shredded Cheddar Cheese – reg. or fancy shred, doesn’t matter

Bake potatoes in a 350° F oven for about 65-75 minutes, or until tender. It's usually longer than 75 mins., but depends on the size of the potatoes - keep checking, you want to be able to squeeze them without much resistance. Cool completely. Peel and dice potatoes (some will fall apart, but that’s fine). In a small Dutch oven (or lg. for double batch), meltbutter; stir in the flour, saltand pepper until smooth. Gradually add the milk while stirring continuously. Bring to a boil; cook while stirring for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the sour cream. Add the potatoes back to the pot. Stir to heat through. Use the shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and slivered green onions for garnishing after serving in individual soup bowls.

Note: The continuous stirring and controlling your heat is important so the cream base doesn’t burn. If you scorch the bottomof the pan and it gets scraped and mixed into your soup, it will be ruined.

***I've also changed the way I do the potatoes somewhat. I bake them with the skins on, as normal, and let them cool. Rather than peeling them, I slice them lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the potato pulp. Collect all of that in a bowl and randomly run a knife through the pulp to break up any big chunks. Reserve the potato skins for another night's dinner or weekend snack while watching something on TV. When making restaurant style potato skins, line a cookie sheet with foil. Arrange the potato skins on the foil and fill each one with shredded cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with premade bacon bits. Pop them into a hot over for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Upon removal, garnish with green onion and serve with sour cream.

Easy to increase for a crowd.

Frequent Contributor

We really like this one with ham. It's on my menu for next weekend.

Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

Submitted By: ELLIE11f; Prep Time: 20 Minutes; Cook Time: 25 Minutes; Ready In: 45 Minutes

Servings: 8; 4.5 WW+ Pts Per Serving

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups peeled & diced potatoes

1/3 cup diced celery

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

3/4 cup diced cooked ham

3 1/4 cups water

2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules (I used 4 tsp Minor’s chicken base)

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or

to taste

5 tablespoons butter (I used 3 T butter and 2 T olive oil)

5 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups milk

Directions:

1. Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.

2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com

Amount Per Serving Calories: 195 | Total Fat: 10.5g | Cholesterol: 30mg