Respected Contributor

Re: Ties that Bind Banana bread

@Gr8AuntieHyeit changed her name to Antilope.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Gr8AuntieHyeit changed her name to Antilope.

@tiny 2 

I knew she changed her name but could not remember what it was. That's it. She posted that Outback Bushman bread recipe which is really good. She also posted copycat Wonder bread recipe. 

Contributor

@tiny 2 

Thank you for remembering her newer name.  I kept thinking it was Allegheny something, but it didn't sound right to me.  You're absolutely right, and I also miss her recipes.  I know that I have some in my file, when I get the computer checked.  I enjoyed my walk down memory lane today from some of you.  It kept me smiling.  Smiley Happy

Have a good night, and thank you, again.

Gr8Auntie

Honored Contributor

@Gr8Auntie wrote:

@Nightowlz 

I wish they'd come back, too.  Ties' Banana Bread is great, but I rarely have bananas anymore.  I really miss Carol1229 and her recipes.  For some reason, I thought Hyeit54 had to change her name during one of the infamous updates by QVC.  I have so many of the old recipes, but have problems with my computer when I access them. It breaks my heart to be so close, yet so far.  I usually have to get our computer checked out once a year in the Fall, and I'm going to make it a priority to have all those recipes put on a memory stick so they're not lost forever.

Even though many people have gone, I really appreciate the people who take the time now to share recipes.  I am a lurker who enjoys being in the background.  I love all the recipes, tips, and tricks that I have learned from all of you.  Thank you for all the great information and the entertainment.  

Take care and stay safe and healthy!  

Gr8Auntie

@Gr8Auntie 

I always have bananas. Just bought 2 bunches so I could freeze some for smoothies.

I could not remember what Hyeit54 changed her name to but it was Antilope.

When I copy & paste a recipe to keep I try to remember to put who posted it at the bottom so I know where it came from.

Carol1229 posted so many yummy recipes with pictures. I have seen the same username on Taste of Home & pretty sure it's the same Carol1229. She should come back to post more recipes.

I like trying new recipes I find her. I like the Blueberry Cream Muffin barbarainnc posted.

Super Contributor

Loved hearing from Ties and Carol in the old days. I now have some time to come back here.  The world has changed and Pinterest rules now!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for posting this, I made it many times, but misplaced my recipe.

My family loved that the pans were buttered and cinnamon sugar dusting before pouring in pan.  This is a really good recipe.  Is Ties still posting?

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Here's the recipe.  

This is a recipe that some of the longtime posters will recognize. And here are 6 ripe bananas! It was one developed by a beloved poster, "Ties" for a contest, and she won! I swear by its 'deliciousness'.

Ties’ Sour Cream Banana Bread

1/4 c white sugar
1 t ground cinnamon
3/4 c butter
3 c white sugar
3 eggs
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
16 oz container sour cream
2 t vanilla extract
2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
3 t baking soda
4 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 c chopped walnuts, opt
1/4 c sugar
1 t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 deg F.

Grease four 7 x 3 inch loaf pans.

In a small bowl, stir together white sugar and cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.

In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.

Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

@Nightowlz 

The directions do not address what is to be done with the last two ingredients.  Could this be a duplication of the first two ingredients where they are used to dust the pans?  Or are they used for sprinkling over the batter/loaf?

Thanks to you or anyone who can clarify for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@vabreeze 

I searched the recipe & found the one I posted.

I also found this recipe so will have to compare the two.

I guess the first 2 ingredients are for shaking in the pan & the other gets added to the batter.

I need to drop last 2 ingredients. 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon sounds like a lot.

Maybe this is the one you're looking for?  It was originally posted by TiesThatBind and is one of the all-time-favorite Banana Breads posted here.

fuzzbe2000 posted 03/18/2010

Here's one that is really good!  Many of us here on Recipe Swap have tried it.  This was originally posted by ties that bind .................Penny

Banana Sour Cream Bread

....... you're probably thinking, 'Oh no! Another banana bread recipe!'  But this one is a little different: the sour cream makes this one so moist it melts in your mouth. The flavor is just wonderful! This one is great for gift giving and holidays. Loaves freeze well.

1/4 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 cup butter

3 cups white sugar

3 eggs

6 very ripe bananas, mashed

1 (16 ounce) container sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 teaspoons baking soda

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) 

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F . Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture. In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

fuzzbe2000 posted 03/18/2010

On 3/18/2010 LotusLvr said:

Fuzz......that sounds really good....but, is the sugar amounts correct? You have it listed twice......1/4 cup then 3 cups...... sounds like a lot of sugar?

Yes, that is right.  The 1/4 C of sugar is mixed with the cinnamon and used for dusting.  I see that Chicagoan agrees with me (and many others) as to how good this is.  My biggest problem is getting the bananas to ripen fast.  Any tips?  I've tried leaving them in a paper bag.............didn't work!

Penny

Honored Contributor

@springers @lilmissy @chips @Gr8Auntie @doxie1 @coffee drinker @KatieB @mustang66lady 

@vabreeze Caught an error in the recipe I posted. I did check & that's how it was posted on Q. I did find another copy on Q I also posted.

The last 2 ingredients are a duplicate so I have dropped them off the copy I posted.

Sorry for the confusion.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Thanks so much for your research and clarification. I thought I would be making this recipe today but discovered my sour cream has spoiled.  Oh darn!  Now, I'll have to throw my well-ripened bananas in the freezer until I can go to the grocery store.