Honored Contributor

I haven't had my yearly anxiety attack yet, but it's creeping in!!

Need to clean the refrigerator then start shopping.   

I ordered my turkey today, the local Elks Lodge is smoking hams & turkeys to be picked up next Tuesday.   I ordered a turkey breast.  Proceeds for a local charity.

Since I do most of the cooking myself, I need a "hack". 

I don't care for turkey or ham but I think I'll enjoy this smoked turkey breast.

Going to make a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie. 

Need to pick up the pecans.

DD making a green bean casserole.

Not sure what DS is bringing.   They both have worked in food service and cook better than I do!

I'll figure out a few more sides myself.

How are your Thanksgiving preps coming along?

Valued Contributor

After 20 years of my hubby and I hosting Thanksgiving for my Mom, Grandmother, Aunt, Brother and his wife---we are alone.My brother is divorced--and the rest of my family is deceased. It will just be the two of us. We could've made plans to eat out on the holiday, but I'm not ready to do that yet--Thanksgiving to me means being at home enjoying family.

I plan to make a whole small turkey, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce--will buy a bakery pumpkin pie for dessert--and maybe a coconut custard one too. I'm not ready to give up the tradition of cooking for this holiday--not yet.

I will be sad, but will keep busy---hubby and I always start decorating for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving--maybe we'll start right after our turkey meal.

Wishing everyone a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving--and cherish the times with your families!!!!

Thanksgiving was the one holiday we all managed to get together--I'll cherish the memories, of course.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving menu

[ Edited ]

I’m doing something completely different this year. I’m going to make  a pot of chili. No fuss or stress for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

My DD and I planned it out yesterday...

She also is making green bean casserole! She's never done one before that I know of. She'll also do a cranberry relish, cheese straws for hors d'oeuvres,

and bring a dessert.

I want to do ECGB's corn souffle, (Thank you, ECGB!) my famous mashed potatoes, and something else, but not sure what. Another kind of dessert and an hors d'oeuvre.

We'll both do turkeys! I'm going to get the smallest I can find so DH and I can have left overs, and they can have their leftovers. So, that means we'll probably make our own dressing/stuffing, too. (I think.)

What is dreaded for me is shopping for Thanksgiving - no matter the day or night, Wegman's will be crammed/jammed packed!!

Happy planning & cooking/baking everyone!

I

Trusted Contributor

@software  I just spoke with someone today who told me he goes to his relatives. He hates him due to the fact he flaunts his wealth. He told me he has Thanksgiving catered. I asked if it was a very large crowd? No, he replied, just family.  Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

It’s still too early for me to think about it.  I do the same thing every year, so my plans are made.  I just have to prepare and it’s too early.  

Don’t bother me on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving...I’ll be a crazy woman then.

Honored Contributor

Since I work long days, I have to do a lot of advance planning.   No time for anything last minute.   I do have off the long weekend after.

I found a recipe online for carrot souffle.  It was very popular at Piccadilly cafeteria, now closed.

I think if I prep most everything this weekend, I'll do fine on THE day.

Honored Contributor

Our meal will be simple so no anxiety.  A few other things, like my car needing body work are more stressful than making our Thanksgiving dinner.

Honored Contributor

I remember those crazy days before T-day-----and thankfully, I am done with them. If me and my fam get invited out to dinner, we take sides or apps. If we don't, I cook just the normal stuff everyone will eat. I don't bake pies or any desserts; I buy already prepared serving sizes of a few different kinds. Have a local grocery store that has OUTSTANDING prepared foods that are healthy and good tasting. I don't clean like a mad woman or get up at the crack of dawn to start cooking. Stress level is non existant for me. If it costs me a little more--so be it!! Worth every penny!!!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

My DD and I planned it out yesterday...

She also is making green bean casserole! She's never done one before that I know of. She'll also do a cranberry relish, cheese straws for hors d'oeuvres,

and bring a dessert.

I want to do ECGB's corn souffle, (Thank you, ECGB!) my famous mashed potatoes, and something else, but not sure what. Another kind of dessert and an hors d'oeuvre.

We'll both do turkeys! I'm going to get the smallest I can find so DH and I can have left overs, and they can have their leftovers. So, that means we'll probably make our own dressing/stuffing, too. (I think.)

What is dreaded for me is shopping for Thanksgiving - no matter the day or night, Wegman's will be crammed/jammed packed!!

Happy planning & cooking/baking everyone!

I

@Harpa,Get a BIG plate to serve yourself!!!  Also, I want to know if you ate the leftover corn souffle for breakfast the next day!!!!!!!Smiley Happy