Honored Contributor

When our family was larger, we decided to eat out for Thanksgiving.   It was great but we missed the leftovers!

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG

So sorry for getting your initials inverted!

I wanted to thank you for that recipe! I wanted to respond when you first shared it, but I was too busy.

I can't wait to try it!

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

When our family was larger, we decided to eat out for Thanksgiving.   It was great but we missed the leftovers!

@software I still remember the year my dear SIL wanted us to do that.  My son was 16 months old and his now in his mid 30's with his own family.  There were no leftovers whatsoever.  His Dad and I were raiding the fridge/freezer at 9:00 that night frying up pizza rolls ect.. in the fry daddy.  We were starving.  Luby's then back to her home for dessert did not cut it.  She still gets grief over that disaster. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Yes, we joked about it for years too!

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@software wrote:

@software I still remember the year my dear SIL wanted us to do that.  My son was 16 months old and his now in his mid 30's with his own family.  There were no leftovers whatsoever.  His Dad and I were raiding the fridge/freezer at 9:00 that night frying up pizza rolls ect.. in the fry daddy.  We were starving.  Luby's then back to her home for dessert did not cut it.  She still gets grief over that disaster. 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

My DD and I planned it out yesterday...

She also is making green bean casserole! She's never done one before that I know of. She'll also do a cranberry relish, cheese straws for hors d'oeuvres,

and bring a dessert.

I want to do ECGB's corn souffle, (Thank you, ECGB!) my famous mashed potatoes, and something else, but not sure what. Another kind of dessert and an hors d'oeuvre.

We'll both do turkeys! I'm going to get the smallest I can find so DH and I can have left overs, and they can have their leftovers. So, that means we'll probably make our own dressing/stuffing, too. (I think.)

What is dreaded for me is shopping for Thanksgiving - no matter the day or night, Wegman's will be crammed/jammed packed!!

Happy planning & cooking/baking everyone!

I

I do it in stages, leaving the vegetables till the end that way I don't feel rushed, the canned stuff I got 2 weeks ago.   I have a spreadsheet to keep me organized 

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@software  I just spoke with someone today who told me he goes to his relatives. He hates him due to the fact he flaunts his wealth. He told me he has Thanksgiving catered. I asked if it was a very large crowd? No, he replied, just family.  Woman Tongue

YVMV

it's funny you say this I was at mahjong this week talking about Brussel sprouts I had at Whole foods and how I was going to try to figure out how to make them next week.  One of the other women said to me "why don't you just go and buy them" ,   we all had a good laugh over that

I am all about making it all for Thanksgiving, but I am going to buy those sprouts.  

Apple Riesling sprouts they were very good 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@ECBG

So sorry for getting your initials inverted!

I wanted to thank you for that recipe! I wanted to respond when you first shared it, but I was too busy.

I can't wait to try it!

@Harpa,Oh Hon, that's OK.  When we first had to come up with a name I didn't have a clue so I just threw up my initials!  Creative, huh?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

My DD and I planned it out yesterday...

She also is making green bean casserole! She's never done one before that I know of. She'll also do a cranberry relish, cheese straws for hors d'oeuvres,

and bring a dessert.

I want to do ECGB's corn souffle, (Thank you, ECGB!) my famous mashed potatoes, and something else, but not sure what. Another kind of dessert and an hors d'oeuvre.

We'll both do turkeys! I'm going to get the smallest I can find so DH and I can have left overs, and they can have their leftovers. So, that means we'll probably make our own dressing/stuffing, too. (I think.)

What is dreaded for me is shopping for Thanksgiving - no matter the day or night, Wegman's will be crammed/jammed packed!!

Happy planning & cooking/baking everyone!

I

I do it in stages, leaving the vegetables till the end that way I don't feel rushed, the canned stuff I got 2 weeks ago.   I have a spreadsheet to keep me organized 

@jackthebear, You said you wanted something else.  This is scrumptious and children (at least ours) eat it very well, teenagers want the entire thing!   Lower in calories!  NO crust!

Crustless Spinach Quiche

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 Tbsp. Oil

1 lg. onion, chopped

1 pkg chopped, frozen spinach, all water squeezed out

I put in a colander and press with a spoon.

5 eggs

¾ lbs Muenster cheese, grated

Salt, pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray pie plate

Heat oil in skillet over med heat

Add onion cook only until clear

Add spinach, cook only until excess moisture is out

Let cool.

Beat eggs in bowl with fork or whisk.

Add cheese,  and salt, pepper to taste

Stir onion, spinach mixture in.

Pour into pie plate

Bake 40-45 minutes until lightly brown.

Serves 6 adults as a side vegetable.

Trusted Contributor

I used to make a larger whole turkey with lots of sides, but now I don't do that anymore.

I have scaled down what I make for us, and this year I'm roasting a smaller turkey breast, and I'm just making a few sides with it.

It's just my husband and myself that will be having Thanksgiving dinner. Most of our family members are gone now, too. 

I'll probably make a veggie, and either stuffing and mashed potatoes, with turkey gravy and whole cranberries to have with it, and then pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert.

We already have everything. I just have to remember to take the turkey breast out of the freezer to defrost. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I ordered a 25 pounder for only 7 people but we like lots of leftovers so.... I decided to cheat a bit this year. Instead of making everything myself I placed orders at our local farms and restaurants. I'll be picking up our pumpkin pie, honey crisp crumb pie and my rolls. I froze corn from August that I'll be serving. We're not celebrating till next Saturday when the kids are able to get here. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"