Respected Contributor

Re: Surprise! Yummy Brussels Sprouts!

@tansy wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@tansy wrote:

This recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts is my favorite.  It adds a bit of lemon juice and fresh Parmesan.  Really good.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_brussels_sprouts/

@tansyI looked at that.  My Brussels sprouts looked like that but with less carbon which is a carcinogen for cancer.  The Parm would be great.  Smiley Happy

Uh oh, I scarf up all the burnt bits!  The Parmesan works well on roasted cauliflower, too 🙂

Don't worry, @tansy.

The dark bits look like carmelization. Not carbon. 

Carbon is black and flakes off the food.

The brown on these Brussels sprouts is the carmelization of the sugars in the plant.  It's what you want from roasting!

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@ECBG

Love love Brussels Sprouts!! Unfortunately since I learned about FODMAPS - high and low vegetables that are gut wrenchers (for me) I have to stay clear of the vegetables on the High FODMAP list. Anyway, your recipe sounds delish. I did the same, but used Sweet potatoes, Russet potatoes, Snow peas, carrots, sweet onion and zucchini.  So good. IMG_6366.jpg

This looks so good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@D Kay wrote:

Not really a recipe. It's the way I cook almost all vegetables.

Agree.  It's how we cook most vegetables in the winter.  In the warmer months, we grill as much as possible.

I like to add some diced pancetta to roasted brussel sprouts.

ETA - we try to only use fresh brussel sprouts.  So much better than frozen.  

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@tansy wrote:

This recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts is my favorite.  It adds a bit of lemon juice and fresh Parmesan.  Really good.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_brussels_sprouts/

@tansyI looked at that.  My Brussels sprouts looked like that but with less carbon which is a carcinogen for cancer.  The Parm would be great.  Smiley Happy

Uh oh, I scarf up all the burnt bits!  The Parmesan works well on roasted cauliflower, too 🙂

Don't worry, @tansy.

The dark bits look like carmelization. Not carbon. 

Carbon is black and flakes off the food.

The brown on these Brussels sprouts is the carmelization of the sugars in the plant.  It's what you want from roasting!

Yes - it is exactly what you want from roasting!

Frequent Contributor

After the brussel sprouts are finished roasting, I drizzle a reduction of balsamic vinegar and honey over them.  Just put some balsamic vinegar in a pan on the stove, add some honey and gently simmer until thick and syrupy.  Delicious.

Honored Contributor

Love brussel sprouts and already bought a stalk offered at TJ for $3.99 - I look forward to that every year. The only thing is you need a lot of room for a stalk.

I don't have a recipe but this is the way I cook them. IHalf or quartered them. Quick rinse - douse with olive oil, salt pepper - Toss - place in microwave high 1 1/2 minutes - stir and another 1 1/2 minutes. Sometimes the leaves are a little burnt which I love.  I eat them out of the bowl or toss into whatever is  cooking on the stovetop. I just like adding it to anthing.