Valued Contributor

Awhile ago someone asked about favorite comfort foods. There was a stuffed pepper recipe that contained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste in the ground meat and sauce plus other spices etc. they were the best tasting peppers and of course I can't find that recipe. Does it sound like any of yours? Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Hi, @Elom.  I hope the person with your favorite stuffed pepper recipe sees your post here and responds to your request for the recipe.  

If not, give me a shout out and I will provide you with my mom's stuffed pepper recipe, which I love.  I have plans to make a variation of it this evening, actually, and the orange peppers and meat are in my fridge as I type these words to you.  My mom used ground beef, but tonight I am going to use a blend of ground veal, pork, and beef just for variety. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am a big fan of stuffed peppers . This was a recipe that I was taught many yrs ago . Blanche the green peppers first in salted boiling water . Then stuff with a mixture of cooked ground beef & onions & rice &  Parmesan cheese & salt/pepper  seasoning  & tomato paste , Top with Parmesan cheese.

I grow peppers every yr so that I have  many on hand to make stuffed peppers .

I invented my own recipe using any type of pepper ( green, yellow,orange, cubanelle, banana  ) . I stuff them with a mixture of cooked rice, ground lamb, feta cheese . I season with  cumin , fennel seed . If you like it a little spicy add cayenne pepper to taste.

Honored Contributor

I admit to cheating by purchasing ready-made stuffed peppers from the Costco convenience-foods case.  They are just as good as the ones I make IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Elom 

I may not be of any help, but the best EVER stuffed peppers I have ever had are from Stouffer's with ther Creole sauce!

Stuffed Pepper Frozen Meal | Official STOUFFER'S®

Respected Contributor

Re: Stuffed peppers

[ Edited ]

@Elom - Here is my mom's recipe, and it provides plenty of leftovers to refrigerate:

Ingredients:

4 large red, yellow, or orange peppers

2.5 lbs. of lean ground beef (or ground turkey meat)

3/4 of a stack/sleeve of Ritz crackers (or Saltines, if you prefer)

One egg

Two 28 oz. cans of Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes with Basil

One 14.5 oz can of Hunt's Petite Diced Tomatoes (or any other diced brand)

Any dry red wine (preferably Cabernet Sauvignon)

Spices: basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper 

Directions: Find a large stock pot with a cover to use. Empty one 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes into the bottom of the pot.

Prepare the peppers by cutting out the stems, and cleaning out the seeds. Set the peppers aside.

Place the ground meat into a large bowl. Add in a liberal amount of the spices above and fold the spices into the meat.  Next, crumble the Ritz crackers over the meat with your hands, or use a food processor to crumble them, and fold the crushed crackers into the meat. Then, add in one egg to the meat/cracker mixture with your hands to evenly distribute it.  

Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture and place them into the large, tomato sause lined pot. Make meatballs with the remaining meat mixture and place them on top of the stuffed peppers in the pot. Then, pour the second can of Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes and the Hunt's Petite diced tomatoes on top of the stuffed peppers and meatballs in the pot.

Finish it off with a generous splash of the red wine over the peppers and meatballs, and then cover the pot. 

Cook the peppers and meatballs over medium heat for 90 minutes, stirring the contents of the pot every half hour to avoid burning the peppers. 

Serve over rice, pasta, or salad. 

Respected Contributor

You are too funny, @ECBG. I may have to try those one day... when I don't feel like cooking. 

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

You are too funny, @ECBG. I may have to try those one day... when I don't feel like cooking. 

@Jersey Born 

They're the best on the market.  When on special here they're immediately sold out!!!Smiley Happy

One is only 200 calories!

Snoopy Dance Emoticon GIFs | Tenor

Esteemed Contributor

Want another variation?

Prepare the roaster: EVOO & butter, also sherry

Stuff red bell peppers w/ ground beef & cooked rice,

seasoned w/ sauteed onion & celery, S & P, a sprinkle of apple pie spice & ground cloves, & brown sugar

Top w/ Campbell's tomato soup (don't dilute).

Cover. 400 degrees for at least an hour (depending on how many you are making)

Honored Contributor

Mix browned ground beef, sauteed onions and celery and pepper top pieces, rice, tomato sauce, salt and pepper, stuff peppers, bake awhile then add ketchup to the top and brown the tops.

I take the top off the peppers and chop up the part around the stem and saute it with the onions and celery.  

Also, if you have peppers that are odd shaped and won't stand up, just line a baking dish with them, put the beef mix in and top with a few pepper pieces.

I only like the green peppers for this!