Regular Contributor

Strawberry-Orange Streusel Muffins

/><br/> <br/> <span style=I've made strawberry muffins before and the berries always seemed to turn a weird color inside the muffin when they bake. I ran across a hint on a blog for avoiding that and used it in these. I think it works great. Sorry I don't have a picture of the inside of the muffins to show you...the berries are nice and red inside as well as on the top. Oh-and I'm "streusel challenged" so they're not pretty-but they sure are delicious

STRAWBERRY-ORANGE STREUSEL MUFFINS
(Source: adapted from food.com-recipe shared by Sue Lau-original found HERE)

1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. orange extract
Grated zest of 1 orange
1 c. fresh strawberries, chopped and tossed lightly in 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (I don't toss the strawberries in flour-refer to the instructions and above link for what I did in these muffins)*

STREUSEL:
1/4 c. chopped toasted pecans
1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of an 18 cup muffin tin; set aside.

For the streusel, combine the pecans, brown sugar, flour and butter; mix until crumbly. Set aside.

For the muffins, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder.

In a separate bowl, combine the milk, melted butter, beaten eggs, vanilla, orange extract and grated orange zest. Gently mix the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Fold in lightly floured chopped strawberries or follow the method I use below:

*I use 1 c. chopped strawberries, and do not stir them into the batter. Instead, I put some of the batter into the muffin tin, sprinkle some strawberries over, top with more batter and sprinkle strawberries over the top, then add the streusel over them.

Divide the batter in the prepared muffin tins; top each with the streusel mixture. Bake @ 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Allow muffins to cool for 10 minutes; run a knife around the edgeof each and remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. The original recipe states 18 muffins....I get 12 regular muffins, possibly because I don't stir the berries into the batter.

/></div>