Trusted Contributor

Does anyone have a starter recipe for sour dough bread?  Thank you!

Super Contributor

Re: Starter for sourdough bread

Check Youtube, they have a lot of recipes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tennesseegal wrote:

Does anyone have a starter recipe for sour dough bread?  Thank you!

@Tennesseegal This recipe was posted by Barbarainnc

Barbarainnc

Respected Contributor

Sour Dough Starter and Bread

‎01-21-2011 08:32 PM

Sour Dough Bread Recipe

Don’t use a metal bowl or spoons with the bread. Use a plastic or glass container to store the starter. Cover it with a paper towel and rubber band in the refrigerator.

Beginning Starter:

1 pkg active dry yeast

1 c warm water

¾ c sugar

3 Tb. Instant Potato Flakes

In a plastic container, dissolve yeast in water, add sugar & potato flakes. Stir dissolved. Let stand at room temperature all day or overnight before refrigerating. Starter should be made 3-5 days before beginning bread. Keep starter in refrigerator 3-5 days. Take out and feed with feed for starter.

Feed for Starter:

¾ c sugar

1 c warm water

3 Tb. Heaping Instant Potato Flakes

After mixing in feed, let starter stand at room temperature all day or night ( 8-12) hours. Cover with a paper towel or cloth. It will not rise, only bubble. Take out one cup to use in making bread & return rest to the refrigerator. Keep in refrigerator 3-5 days and feed again. If not making bread, after feeding give or throw away 1 cup. It may be fed 2-3 times before making bread.

In a large mixing bowl, make a stiff batter of: 1/3 c sugar (may be omitted)

½ c corn oil

1 c starter

1 ½ c warm water

6 c Pillsbury Bread Flour

1 T salt

Grease another large bowl, put dough in and turn over.( Put oily side on top), cover lightly with foil and let stand overnight. (DO NOT REFRIGERATE!) Next morning punch down. Knead a little, divide into 3 parts. Knead each part on a floured surface a few times.( 8-10 times). Put into 3 greased loaf pans, and brush with oil. Let stand 4-5 hours (all day is best). Dough rises very slowly. Be sure to cover with wax paper while rising. Bake at 350* for 30-35 mins. Remove from pan and brush with butter. Cool on a rack. Wrap well to store ( can freeze or refrigerate).

This is how I make it: Feed the starter at night around 6:00. Leave out all night.

Next morning mix the bread and let rise all day- that same night around 5:00 or 6:00 make bread, put into pans and let rise until 10:00 or 11:00 then bake.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tennesseegal 

Because I'm from San Francisco, known for over 150 years for its sourdough bread, I wanted a true-blue SF sourdough starter with Saccaromides s.f. , plus complimentary microbes in the starter culture.  Happily ended up ordering from "Breadtopia" a hunk from their "mother culture."  It arrived in a small zip bag, which I acted upon immediately.  I'm so happy I took this route, because the bread I make tastes like sourdough should and Breadtopia has video tutorials and supplies to help one along the way, plus you can contact them with questions.

Good luck with your venture into sourdough bread!  Oh, and you must name your sourdough culture that you keep in a jar.  I named mine "Sophie."

Honored Contributor

Just be forewarned that whatever culture you start out with, it will eventually become taken over by your local yeasts. There's nothing wrong with that and it'll still make great bread, but every part of the country has unique yeast strains with subtle differences. One of my many bread cookbooks told of a small bakery that moved to a new bigger location, just a couple of miles away, and found their culture changed. It changed so much, that they ended up keeping their culture at their old location and transporting what they needed each day to the new location, so their bread would still taste the same as it had before. There are some really good YouTube videos from Northwest Sourdough that can teach you all you ever wanted to know about sourdough and more. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor

The King Arthur Flour website has a very good sourdough starter recipe.  Mine has been going since January of this year.  I bake bread every week and a half or so, and then feed the starter.  It’s delicious!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tennesseegal 

I was missing the real "sour" in my bread that I missed from the Larrabarou Bread Company for so many years in San Francisco.

After research, I'm now able to achieve the real sour in sour dough by adding 1/2 tsp of citric acid to whatever recipe used at the same time that salt is added.  It's fantastic!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Just be forewarned that whatever culture you start out with, it will eventually become taken over by your local yeasts. There's nothing wrong with that and it'll still make great bread, but every part of the country has unique yeast strains with subtle differences. One of my many bread cookbooks told of a small bakery that moved to a new bigger location, just a couple of miles away, and found their culture changed. It changed so much, that they ended up keeping their culture at their old location and transporting what they needed each day to the new location, so their bread would still taste the same as it had before. There are some really good YouTube videos from Northwest Sourdough that can teach you all you ever wanted to know about sourdough and more. 

@gardenman  Excellent post and you are absolutely correct if you know sourdough, its history and areas with their "unique" yeasts.  Starters also can be created with different kinds of flour grains, wheat, white, rye, etc. Favorite thing while my family was growing up was sourdough pancakes, of course made from my starter which was fed/maintained for many years.

Respected Contributor

@Tennesseegal  Great topic....now lets have some great sourdough bread recipes from you folks...what have you got for us sourdough bread bakers!   Always looking for sourdough recipes!

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman  Excellent post and you are absolutely correct if you know sourdough, its history and areas with their "unique" yeasts.  Starters also can be created with different kinds of flour grains, wheat, white, rye, etc. Favorite thing while my family was growing up was sourdough pancakes, of course made from my starter which was fed/maintained for many years.

I've been researching sourdough breads and watching a lot of the Northwest Sourdough videos. I'm going to try sourdough breads this fall. I'm already stockpiling supplies I'll need and even bought the canned pineapple juice this morning for starting the starter. (It's expiration date is September 2020, so it should be fine until August.) I make homemade bread nearly every Saturday during the college football season, typically timing it so the bread is done by noon. Sourdough breads being slower rising will likely have me doing most of the work on Friday, then letting the dough rest in the fridge overnight, before shaping it, letting it have a final rise, and baking it. Teresa Greenway of Northwest Sourdough has lots of helpful videos on YouTube. It'll be something new to try. There are tons of online resources for anyone interested in sourdough. I'll probably start my starter three weeks ahead of my first planned bake to give me a margin of error time-wise. So, around the end of the first week in August (not that far away now) I'll try making the starter and go from there. In a week after starting it I should have a starter for waffles/pancakes, then by the end of week two it should be strong enough for bread. Then it's just a question of keeping it fed and healthy. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!