Super Contributor

Hi. Bought a Smithfield spiral cut ham at BJs just before Thanksgiving, and it has been in refridgerator since then, not freezer. The sell by date is February 2023. Is it ok to eat if has has been in fridge for over a month.? Don't want to make anyone sick! Thank you in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

@Susic  It should be fine, as long as your refrigerator is behaving normally and keeping things at an even temp. There is so much salt in the ham, it should be good for a while. DH used to be a USDA meat inspector, and he said no problem.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Susic  It should be fine, as long as your refrigerator is behaving normally and keeping things at an even temp. There is so much salt in the ham, it should be good for a while. DH used to be a USDA meat inspector, and he said no problem.

@PA Mom-mom Good for him!!  Does he have any thoughts about the all uncured ham products out there now?  I can't decide whether I think they are a good or bad thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  Sorry, in his work he mainly worked with chemically injected "cured" products. He had very little experience with naturally "cured" (uncured) products. Check the labels for ingredients and cooking directions. 

Respected Contributor

It's fine.  If it's not fine, you'll know it by the smell, color, and texture.

Honored Contributor

The ham will be fine; probably colder in your refrigerator than in an open refrigerated store showcase.  

Super Contributor

Great! Thank you all for replies. Was going to throw out, but thought maybe would be ok, since I kept it way in back under ice machine. Figured it would same ones in big open case at market . I was hoping tag would say freeze or use by certain date. But it just said use by 2/23...Always get good advice her! Have a great Holiday, Susi.

Esteemed Contributor

If the sell by date is Feb. of next year, I don't know why you would even question anyone as to whether or not the ham is ok.  (I don't mean that in a snarky way, I'm genuinely confused).  Trust the date.  

Valued Contributor

@RollTide2008 You'll know for sure ,12 hours after its eaten  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Sooner  Sorry, in his work he mainly worked with chemically injected "cured" products. He had very little experience with naturally "cured" (uncured) products. Check the labels for ingredients and cooking directions. 

@PA Mom-mom Well darn!  LOL!!!  I never know whether or not to go for the uncured!  Guess I will have to do more reseach.