Super Contributor

Southwestern style bean salad recipe needed...

My dh is looking for a basic recipe. tia

Super Contributor

Re: Southwestern style bean salad recipe needed...

Like the kind with corn and tomatoes in it or more of a southwestern spin on a 3 bean salad?

Honored Contributor

Here is my own recipe, but I am soooo not a measurer so you're going to have to use your best judgement.

1 can black beans (I prefer Goya) rinsed

Chopped red onion

Chopped green pepper (I like fryers--the light green long ones--because the skin is more tender, but would use jalapeno if I were just making it for myself. Any pepper will do.

Half a bag of frozen corn (thawed.) You can probably use canned but I don't care for the taste.

Handfull of chopped, fresh cilantro or parsley.

Season with: salt, pepper, cumin and ground coriander.

Dress with lime juice, a splash of white wine vinegar, and olive oil.

Super Contributor

Mine is similar-

I take 3 cans of beans,drained :

I use Pinto, black beans and red kidney-

a can of vacuum packed corn kernels, ( you can use frozen)

a chopped tomato,

a couple of celery ribs chopped and

sliced green onion ( I like a lot of this)

I sometimes add black olives

Make a dressing approx.:

1 cup salsa

1/4 c oil

2 tsp chile powder

1/4 c Lime Juice

1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp salt

Should sit in refrig at least 2 hours or overnight

You can add tabasco if you like it hotter- Sometimes I add bacon, or even chicken or shrimp and make a meal- you can crumble tortilla chips in it too

Trusted Contributor

We really enjoy this salad.

Black Bean Salad

2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained well (I used less sodium variety)

1 (15 oz) can corn, drained

2 roma tomatoes, diced

1/2 green bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)

1/2 cup sweet onion, diced

1/4 cup diced fresh pineapple (or canned tidbits in juice)

Dressing:

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Juice of 1/2 lime (1 Tablespoon juice) OR 1 Tablespoon water and 2 packets of TrueLime

1 packet of TruVia natural zero calorie sweetener (or 1 tablespoon sugar)

3/4 teaspoon salt

Freshly ground black pepper

About 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Stir together the dressing ingredients and stir into salad mixture.

Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Super Contributor

Don't know if this will work, but it is delicious and is beautiful. This recipe never fails me. I always get compliments and share the recipe because it is pretty healthy. My friend gave me this recipe years ago because it is very low fat. Her husband had to keep as much fat as possible out of his diet due to strict heart issues, and it can serve as a complete protein.

Plus, you can do a lot substitutions with whatever you have. And you can add a little more or less of everything to taste.

3 cans of beans--different and any kind, just be sure to rinse and drain well to get rid of that starchy juice: pinto, kidney, white, pork and beans, whatever you have.

1 can or jar of the little ears of corn, drained

1 half chopped red onion.

1 half chopped bell pepper, any color.

1 cup chopped tomatoes.

1 half cup chopped celery.

1/4 cup of cilantro or more--depends on how well you like it. I like more.

Now the dressing because you are going to let it marinate overnight in it.

1/2 cup mild picante sauce

1/2 cup fat free Italian dressing

It probably doesn't need much salt because it is in other things. You could add pepper, paprika, etc. to taste

Cover and let it sit in its on juices. It can take the place of a meat entrée, if needed. It is the best and will keep for several days.

Feeds 10-12, so to make less I guess you would leave out a can of beans and some of the veggies to make a smaller dish.

Super Contributor

Tomato Corn Salad

1 1/2 lb. tomatoes, chopped (I have used canned too)

1 c. corn (fresh or frozen is best, but could use canned or Mexicorn)

1/4 c. red onion, chopped

1/4 c. cilantro, chopped

1 c. black beans, rinsed and drained (I use a whole can)

1/4 - 1/2 c. Zesty Italian dressing

Toss together and refrigerate. (if you like heat add some jalapeno, and you could add bell peppers too)

Black Bean and Mango Salad (from Bush's Beans)

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

2 c. diced mango

1 c. diced red bell pepper

6 green onions, sliced thin (I use red onion diced)

1/4 c. lime juice

1 T. olive oil

1 jalapeno, minced

salt and pepper to taste

Combine together and refrigerate.

This is really good, especially with the mango! (pineapple would be great too!)

Esteemed Contributor

Tex-Mex Three Bean Salad

Wonderful with bar-b-que, any other Tex-Mex dish and spiced roasts. This is a fabulous bean salad, worth the soaking and cooking.

½ c dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight

½ c black beans, soaked overnight

½ c dried navy beans (white beans), soaked overnight

½ green bell pepper, cored, seeded & diced

½ red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced

2 celery stalks, trimmed and diced

1/3 c sliced radishes

Dressing (sweet & sour):

½ lb bacon slices

½ c finely chopped scallions

6 Tbs water

¼ c sugar

1 Tbs cornstarch

Salt and pepper

Drain the beans and put them in separate saucepans. Cover with fresh cold water & bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then simmer until the beans are tender: 1-4 hours, depending on the variety of bean (red kidney beans take 50 minutes and should be boiled for 10 minutes, then drained and fresh water added; black beans take up to 4 hours; navy bean take about 1.25 hours). When ready, drain. Cover and allow to cool to room temperature.

Dressing: Cook the bacon slices until crisp and rendered of fat. Drain the bacon slices on paper towels; reserve 2-3 Tbs of the bacon fat in the skillet. Add the scallions to the skillet and cook until softened. Mix together the vinegar, water, sugar and cornstarch, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch, and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring, and simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Put beans in a bowl and add the peppers, celery and radishes. Pour the hot dressing over the beans and gently toss together. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle on top. Best served warm.

Enjoy!

Not applicable

Sue's 'Texas Catalina Southwestern Salad' This is such an easy but good salad. It is good the next day, too. Ingredients: 1 small head iceberg lettuce torn in bite size pieces 1 small bottle Catalina dressing 1 small red onion sliced very thin (or diced) 2 tomatoes, diced. (I like the cherry tomatoes - cut in half - and think they have the best flavor) 1 small bag (2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded 1 small can Ranch style beans, rinsed (I used the one w/jalapeño) 1 small can black beans, rinsed or make this another can of Ranch beans w/jalapeño 1 small bag original FRITO's ASSEMBLY: 1. In lg. bowl dress the lettuce with just enough CATALINA dressing to coat (I used about 1/3 Of the bottle) 2. Add rest of ingredients and gently toss. Top with Fritos chips. 3. Some put FRITO's in and toss --- but I let everybody add the amount of chips they want. THIS REALLY IS A NO BRAINER SALAD BUT IT IS REALLLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Valued Contributor

Glad you asked for this type of bean salad. You got some great sounding ones I have never seen and I read recipes all the time. The posters on here are the best for coming up with good sounding tried and true recipes.