Esteemed Contributor

For a chicken dish with the creamy soup and stuffing mix, I'd definitely go with the oven.

Honored Contributor

Re: Slow Cooker Conversion

[ Edited ]

I know that recipe...I think you could use the oven or the stovetop since it has stovetop stuffing in it...it should not take very long to cook so am surprised it would take very long even in a slow cooker. Just know the recipe is loaded with sodium if that is a concern for you or your family. If you want to take the guesswork out you might want to google the recipe and see if you can find it without the slow cooker being recommended.

Honored Contributor

First, I'd buy a cheap slo cooker. Otherwise, I'd try the oven on a lower temp.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@fthunt it's kind of like a casserole, it's made with chicken, cream of mushroom soup, and Stove Top stuffing. As for buying a slow cooker, it's not the money, I really don't have room for it, I also have a graveyard of appliances I used once or twice never to be used again, I don't want to add to it!

Hi @Jordan2 ,

I had a similar recipe at my cousin's house that she used to make for my husband and me for dinner when we'd visit with her.

It's a recipe that has been around for some time.

It's similar to your recipe, except that it includes sour cream in the recipe as well as the soup.

You don't need to bake it for too long.

I will post the recipe here, just so that you have some idea of the ingredients that are needed, plus the temperature that is needed for the baking time. You make it in the oven.

Here it is, from the Back of the Box Recipes:

Stove Top One-Dish Chicken Bake

Prep: 10 mins - Total: 45 mins

1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1-1/2 cups hot water*
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, cut up
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/4 lb.)
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream

*Or use milk.

Mix contents of Vegetable/Seasoning packet, hot water and butter in large bowl until butter is melted. Stir in Stuffing Crumbs just to moisten. Let stand 5 minutes.

Place chicken in 12x8-inch baking dish or 2-quart casserole. Mix soup and sour cream; pour over chicken. Top with stuffing.

Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Makes 4 servings

This recipe created by Kraft Foods.
Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@fthunt it's kind of like a casserole, it's made with chicken, cream of mushroom soup, and Stove Top stuffing. As for buying a slow cooker, it's not the money, I really don't have room for it, I also have a graveyard of appliances I used once or twice never to be used again, I don't want to add to it!

Hi @Jordan2 ,

I had a similar recipe at my cousin's house that she used to make for my husband and me for dinner when we'd visit with her.

It's similar to your recipe, except that it includes sour cream in the recipe as well as the soup.

I will post the recipe here, just so that you have some idea of the ingredients that are needed, plus the temperature that is needed for the baking time. You make it in the oven.

1-1/2 cups hot water*

*Or use milk.

Mix contents of Vegetable/Seasoning packet, hot water and butter in large bowl until butter is melted. Stir in Stuffing Crumbs just to moisten. Let stand 5 minutes.

Place chicken in 12x8-inch baking dish or 2-quart casserole. Mix soup and sour cream; pour over chicken. Top with stuffing.

Makes 4 servings

@Toppers3 thanks for the recipe. The one I have is very similar to this one, it's a lightened version, no margarine it has chicken broth in it. I saw a picture of the finished product, the chicken was shredded, making it in the slow cooker breaks up the chicken. I'm going food shopping on Friday, I think I'll buy what I need and will make it in the oven.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

Hi @Jordan2 ,

1-1/2 cups hot water*

*Or use milk.

Makes 4 servings

@Toppers3 I made my dish today. I used my recipe but followed the directions you provided and it came out fine.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I found a recipe that is made for a slow cooker, I don’t have one. You’re to cook it on low for 6-8 hours. I have looked up a conversion chart for cooking on the stovetop or oven. Would you cook it in the oven or stovetop, how long would you cook it for?

Hi @Jordan2 ,

I'm so glad that your recipe turned out well. Smiley Happy

I was thinking of you when I came across an article about "how to turn any recipe into a slow cooker recipe!" Smiley Wink

I guess that it must be easier to do that, than to do the reverse.