Honored Contributor

I found a recipe that is made for a slow cooker, I don’t have one. You’re to cook it on low for 6-8 hours. I have looked up a conversion chart for cooking on the stovetop or oven. Would you cook it in the oven or stovetop, how long would you cook it for?

Esteemed Contributor

My guess would be to do stovetop.  Preferably in a cast iron Le Crueset type pan if you have one.  I'll tell you though you can buy nice crock pots for reasonable money on Amazon.  I use mine all winter long, just something about them, the food does come out great every time.  Best of luck Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Kind of depends on what you're cooking.............soup ....a large piece of meat....

root vegetables.......stew?

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I would use the stovetop. It would work great if you have a stockpot.

I love my slow cooker.

Regular Contributor

Just me but I would prefer to put the recipe in a dutch oven and cook it in the oven at 300-325 for maybe four to five hours or until tender if it's meat. That way you won't have to watch it so close. Stovetop if soup.  You shouldbe able to tell when done.  But like I said just preference.

Occasional Contributor

I'd probably go with the oven over your stovetop just to reduce the amount of liquid that's likely to evaporate.  You can lose quite a bit of liquid by cooking something on the stovetop over the oven.  If you're stewing chicken or beef for stock for soups or stews there's a lot more liquid lost on the stovetop.  JMO.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

I would also use the oven and simmer slowly, unless it's soup.  The stove top could create hot spots and you gennerally have to stir to prevent scorching.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt it's kind of like a casserole, it's made with chicken, cream of mushroom soup, and Stove Top stuffing. As for buying a slow cooker, it's not the money, I really don't have room for it, I also have a graveyard of appliances I used once or twice never to be used again, I don't want to add to it!

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I found a recipe that is made for a slow cooker, I don’t have one. You’re to cook it on low for 6-8 hours. I have looked up a conversion chart for cooking on the stovetop or oven. Would you cook it in the oven or stovetop, how long would you cook it for?

@Jordan2    Stove top......on very low heat.   Check it every once in a while, give it a stir.   Probably 6 hours at least......but taste it to see if it is done.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I agree with those who say oven, low and slow, in a Dutch oven or similar. Unless it's a soup.