Honored Contributor

Re: Slow-Cooked Corn on the Cob

@Chi-town girl --I was thinking about using chicken too and maybe shrimp would be good or a mild white fish--- that sauce is very open to alot of things from herby to spicy--can see a pinch of pepper flakes. In my world, anything with coconut milk is  winner!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop  and @Sooner  I just happened upon this thread and was horrified as well. My mom would get the water on to boil and only then would go out to pick the corn (or send one of us). The corn would boil for 4 minutes and come out to go immediately under cold running water to stop the cooking as much as possible. Served right away. The cats got the spent cobs. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom 

Thank you for understanding my point from the farm perspective.  

After weeks of rounding thru the corn patch with eye droppers dropping mineral oil on the ears of corn to prevent/get rid of ear worms, we couldn't wait for the appearance of brown silks to let us know the corn was ready!   

Steaming platters of it were on the supper table every night, and we never tired of it.  

Regardless of who Grandma sent to the garden to pull corn for supper, they came in with the number of ears she asked for, plus the one they were eating on.   

@PA Mom-mom 

All the corn I've purchased this year has had thick, tight husks and heavy silk, which is an old timers sign of a bad winter!

Honored Contributor

Well @RedTop  - point is there are many recipes and options. Why can wr share and discuss in a respectful manner? 

Why you have chosen to repeatedly declare horror over a recipe that I've posted is rude.

Seems like you and a couple other posters are determined to derail this thread 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Chi-town girl --I was thinking about using chicken too and maybe shrimp would be good or a mild white fish--- that sauce is very open to alot of things from herby to spicy--can see a pinch of pepper flakes. In my world, anything with coconut milk is  winner!!!

@wagirl - Thank you;  great suggestion about mild flaky fish. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

You have totally misunderstood my reply.  There is no horror whatsoever about your posted recipe, and I meant no ill will.  I am indeed sorry if this is how you perceive my posts.  

To a farmer who plants a dry seed and successfully raises a great crop of corn, their feeling is that they have raised the most perfect food ever, and as I said, my family tested that perfection by pulling it and eating it raw right there in the cornfield. 

I was raised to enjoy the vegetables we raised in their purest forms during peak season.  We didn't mess with perfection with thoughts of how to use that vegetable in another way; that's just not how things were done on the farm.  Granted, I do use canned or frozen vegetables in my recipes today, because I no longer have a 2 acre garden outside my back door, to supply me with fresh vegetables.  

I'm always going to be proud of being a WV farm girl, and know many here will never connect to that, and it's quite okay if you don't connect to my ways.  Just don't attach rudeness nor a mean spirit towards me for my different mindset.

Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl  This is partly my fault. After I posted, I thought it might be considered insulting to the OP. I didn't consider the fact that some people don't have my experience with farm fresh corn. I should have been more considerate. So sorry!

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl --I saved the sauce from the corn, and added a little more coconut milk to it and more spices and used it for a pasta sauce over spaghetti noodles last night for dinner---a  flurry of parm and black pepper and it was amazing!!! 

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl I have got to try this can't imagine what it tastes like with c milk.

Super Contributor

The horror over a recipe!