Esteemed Contributor

I'm not really a good cook and often learn a lot from all the great cooks on this forum.  So, to thank you all, thought I'd give you my Cottage Pie recipe 'cause to my utter amazement, it's become a super hit!

I crumble up a lb of hamburger meat from the butcher, adding some Lea&Perrins to the mix and saute in a cast iron pan. When done, put that aside and saute a can of corn (drained) in evoo and a dab of butter in the same pan, adding some cumin, tumeric, paprika, cinnamon, Old Bay - just a little sprinkle of each (teeny bit of cinnamon).  Then, I put the corn in a casserole dish, sprinkle 1/2 pkg of Argento's sharp cheddar and add the meat.  I nuke a tub of Bob Evan's Loaded mashed potatoes and mix in my usual mixture of mayo, sour cream and rice vinegar to taste.  After spreading the potatoes over the meat, spinkle the remaining cheddar.  Cook at 350* for about one hour.

It's cheap, simple and for some reason guys love it!Woman Wink

Frequent Contributor

Re: Shepherd's (Cottage) Pie

I'm not a good cook either but your recipe sounds great!  I will try this weekendSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I'm not really a good cook and often learn a lot from all the great cooks on this forum.  So, to thank you all, thought I'd give you my Cottage Pie recipe 'cause to my utter amazement, it's become a super hit!

I crumble up a lb of hamburger meat from the butcher, adding some Lea&Perrins to the mix and saute in a cast iron pan. When done, put that aside and saute a can of corn (drained) in evoo and a dab of butter in the same pan, adding some cumin, tumeric, paprika, cinnamon, Old Bay - just a little sprinkle of each (teeny bit of cinnamon).  Then, I put the corn in a casserole dish, sprinkle 1/2 pkg of Argento's sharp cheddar and add the meat.  I nuke a tub of Bob Evan's Loaded mashed potatoes and mix in my usual mixture of mayo, sour cream and rice vinegar to taste.  After spreading the potatoes over the meat, spinkle the remaining cheddar.  Cook at 350* for about one hour.

It's cheap, simple and for some reason guys love it!Woman Wink

That sounds so yummy!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme

Thanks for the reminder!

I have made what I call "shepherd's pie"  with ground beef many times and  do it much the same way--and probably never the same way twice.  Depends on my mood and what I have on hand in the kitchen.

(True shepherd's pie is traditionally made with lamb, but that's another story.)

Saute some ground beef with chopped onion and maybe some celery.

Add seasonings such as Worcesterhire sauce/pepper/salt/etc. and then add maybe some sort of  broth or  gravy, a little ketchup,  or canned soup (or not).

Mix in a variety of mixed frozen vegetables, including corn, peas, carrots, green beans.

Place in oven-safe casserole, spread the top  with some store-bought or  seasoned homemade mashed potatoes embellished with whatever you like (maybe sour cream, parsley, or  paprika), bake at 350 degrees until all seems done to your satisfaction.

I've never had a complaint about this dish.  Wouldn't serve it to company, but for family, it's easy , satisfying, and  really works!!

I need to refresh my summer menu for the fall season, and you got it right!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make a version of this dish with chicken:

2 lbs bone-in chicken thighs 

6 tbsp butter

1 onion, chopped

3 carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces

2 tsp minced garlic

1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves

1/4 cup dry sherry

2 cups chicken broth

2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 cup frozen peas, thawed

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 egg, lightly beaten

Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.  Cook chicken in 1 tbsp. melted butter in ovensafe 10" skillet over medium-high heat until well-browned, about 5 mins. per side.  Place chicken on plate and remove all but 2 tbsp. fat from pan.

Cook onions and carrots in pan with chicken fat over medium-high heat until golden brown.  Add garlic and thyme and cook for 30 secs.  Add sherry and cook for 1 min., scraping up fond.  Stir in broth.

Place chicken and juices in skillet skin-side-up and bring to boil.  Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until chicken reaches 175 degrees, 12-14 mins.  Place chicken on plate and shred into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones.

Boil potatoes in 1 tbsp. salt and water to cover by 1" in large saucepan over high heat, reduce to medium heat, and cook at strong simmer until tender, 15-18 mins.  Drain potatoes, place back in pan, and cook over low heat for 1 min to dry out.  Off heat gently fold in 5 tbsps. butter, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.  Cover and set aside.

Whisk cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in small dish.  Bring broth mixture in skillet to boil,  then whisk in cornstarch mixture.  Boil until thickened, about 1 min.  Off heat stir in peas, lemon juice, and chicken.

Cover filling with spoonfuls of potatoes.  Brush potatoes with egg wash and bake at 375 degrees for 15 mins.  Broil until potatoes are golden brown, 5-7 mins.  Cool for 15 mins. before serving.       

Esteemed Contributor

@Tina From Georgia. please let me know how you and your like it!Woman LOL

@deepwaterdotter@novamc1

Thanks for your recipes!  You gave some great ideas, which eventually, I'm gonna try.

Honored Contributor

@happycat

Thanks for sharing!

That is the second time in one week someone recommended Bob Evans mashed!

I have to check my Wegman's and see if they carry them!

I just never have time to make mashed from scratch so I don't!  LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife

Re:  tubs of ready-made mashed potatoes

Other brands besides Bob Evans are available in many stores.  One is called "Simply Potatoes" and another is mashed redskin potatoes, maybe made by Reser's (?)

My DH loves sweet potatoes in general and mashed sweet potatoes in particular, and I can get a tub of  Simply Potatoes mashed sweets at our local chain grocery store. 

At least one brand should be available where you shop.  My stores carry more than one brand.  I see them at Costco and BJ's, too.

These tubs are often on sale and coupons are available.  They freeze well, too, for future use.

Valued Contributor

Thought I'd share this one....It's from my jr. high Home Economics class and my family always enjoyed it.

Meal-In-One

1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

1 can Tomato soup

1/2 cup water

Generous dash of Pepper

1 (9oz) Frozen, Cut Green Beans, cooked and drained

1 cup Cooked, Sliced Carrots

3 cups (6 servings) Mashed Potatoes

Shredded Cheddar Cheese

In deep skillet, brown meat and cook onion until tender.  Drain any fat.  Add soups, water, pepper, beans, and carrots.

Pour into 2-qt. shallow baking dish.  Spoon potatoes in diagonal lines across top of casserole;  Sprinkle with shredded, mild cheese.

Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme I love that shephard's pie or cottage pie as you call it is so versitle.You can add different meats and veggies. Your's sounds great, and anything that the guys love is a keeper! I always make a version of shepards's pie with Thanksgiving leftovers, and then add the cheese of course. The grandkids love to help and then help us eat it!