Honored Contributor

As I was getting some spices out today, one thing led to another and I ended up going through all of my spices checking expiration dates.  I usually keep a little longer than date maybe up to year....spices are expensive!  Some I use regularly so never a problem....it is the occasional use ones that sit and don't get used up.

Made me wonder......do you pitch spices as they reach the "use by" date or keep longer?

Esteemed Contributor

I keep my spices in a dark cabinet and I keep them if they smell good!  

My Knorr spices do not have expire dates!

Honored Contributor

They're too expensive to toss.  If one of my spices has been around quite a while, I'll use a bit more than the recipe calls for.

Respected Contributor

I test them. If they still smell good, I keep then even if they are past due date.

Honored Contributor

Most spices if properly stores do not " go bad."They might lose flavor though.  I don't toss many spices, if they still smell good, but if they are expired by a few years, I get rid of them.

Baking powder is another story.  I try to buy the smallest container as I can get and toss it often...even before the expiration date sometimes.  If if fails, your baked goods won't turn out right.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My understanding of the "use by" dating is that marks the end of a product's best time.  It has nothing to do with safety.  Because that's what I care about, if the product still looks good and smells good  I don't toss it. 

Almost everything on my shelf is beyond its best use date.  All that really means to me is that it's okay for me, but I'd buy new if the spice were significant in something I was feeding to company.  For myself, I just adjust amounts.

Valued Contributor

most of my spices do not have an expiration date.
i don't throw them out, based on the date.
as much as possible i buy spices that have a grinder. i find that they stay fresh and keep the flavor much longer then the salt shaker kind of spice bottle. for the most part, they stay in the cabinet.

i probably should buy a lock n lock container large enough to hold them <smile>

i did see that they have individual containers for spices, but that would take up more room and then i'd have to label each container.

Trusted Contributor

Years ago a guest speaker from Tones Spices told my foods class that all "red" spices should be stored in the refrigerator.  That would be things like chili powder, paprika, red pepper, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I often wondered as I have some that I don't even remember what era I got them from!

Honored Contributor

I only buy and use the most common spices; they are dated when purchased, and tossed after 2 years if any actually stay that long.   

I do not even consider making recipes that call for any spice not already in the drawer.