Regular Contributor

Scalloped potato with cheese question.

Hi, When I make Scalloped Potatoes I usually use box Betty Crocker but the last time I did they turned out horrible and there was hardly anything in the box. I thought maybe I would try and make them myself. The last time I did this was in 1968 and they tasted like flour. Does anyone have a good recipe. Maybe with cheddar cheese? If so, I thank you very much.

Respected Contributor

Re: Scalloped potato with cheese question.

On 12/20/2011 Sarka said:

I found and tried this recipe. It was delicious.

Peel about 7 large potatoes and slice thinly. Place in a large sauce pan. Add some butter.

About 2 Tablespoons.

Pour 2 cans of evaporated milk 12 oz. each over your potatoes and slowly bring to a boil.

Then turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

Remove potatoes from pan and place in a 9x12 pan. Add enough water or broth

to bring liquid to 2 cups liquid. Pour over the potatoes and bake at 350 for about

25 minutes or done. I put cheddar cheese on top to melt for Au Gratin style for

the last 10 minutes.

I had enough potatoes for leftovers . They microwave well. They made their own

sauce.

This sounds so good.I am gonna try it. I usually make the Aunt Bertie's potatoes...those are so easy and everyone goes nuts over them.
Esteemed Contributor

I make a white sauce and add lots of grated cheddar cheese

Pour it over sliced potatoes and cook for about an hour at 325 degrees.

Easy!

Valued Contributor

On 12/21/2011 note2baby said:

This lady was a wonderful poster on the boards for a very long time. She has now passed on but many of her recipes come up again and again....because they ROCKED. We miss you Aunt Bertie!!!

Aunt Bertie's Scalloped Potatoes
Thinly slice peeled raw potatoes, enough to feed the number of people you want to feed. Do not make for less than 4, as it won't work right.

Salt if you want it.

Place potatoes in a deep casserole dish (I use corning ware) use Pam or oil to coat dish to prevent a difficult cleanup.

Pour HEAVY cream over the potatoes till it comes to within one inch BELOW the top of the potatoes.

Bake uncovered in a 350 degree, preheated oven, for one to two hours depending on the size of the dish. It should be browned on top, and tender when pierced with a knife.

This comes out thick, and tasting as though you added cheese. Only two ingredients, so easy.

Last edited on 12/21/2011

If you make Aunt Bertie's Scalloped Potatoes -

Do Not Rinse the potatoes after peeling or slicing them. It is the starch on the potatoes that mixes with the heavy cream that helps the sauce thicken.

Respected Contributor

On 12/21/2011 Thingamajig said:

note2baby,

Thank you for reminding me!

I have Aunt Bertie's recipe, and have wanted to try it for years, but whenever I think about it, I remember I don't have the right size dish, so I put it away for another time, and then forget to buy the right dish. LOL!

Finally, this time I want to buy the right size dish. I usually make my Au Gratin potatoes in a 9x13 or 10x15 baking dish (very full). What size/depth baking dish would you recommend I buy to accomodate Aunt Bertie's recipe for a large amount of potatoes? TIA

Use whatever dish you have, I have made Aunt Berties Potatoes in various dishes and they always come out the same. My pans are somewhere around 2 inches deep. I've have also used a round Pyrex 2 qt when making smaller portions.

Trusted Contributor

How do we subscribe to threads we like?

Honored Contributor

@kitty4me wrote:

I don't believe there is a way to subscribe to a given thread.  If there is a thread that I particularly enjoy, I try and catch it at least once day so I don't lose track of it.  I haven't seen anything in the new forum that would help with this either but maybe there is but I haven't stumbled across it yet.

Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:
On 12/21/2011 Thingamajig said:

note2baby,

Thank you for reminding me!

I have Aunt Bertie's recipe, and have wanted to try it for years, but whenever I think about it, I remember I don't have the right size dish, so I put it away for another time, and then forget to buy the right dish. LOL!

Finally, this time I want to buy the right size dish. I usually make my Au Gratin potatoes in a 9x13 or 10x15 baking dish (very full). What size/depth baking dish would you recommend I buy to accomodate Aunt Bertie's recipe for a large amount of potatoes? TIA

Use whatever dish you have, I have made Aunt Berties Potatoes in various dishes and they always come out the same. My pans are somewhere around 2 inches deep. I've have also used a round Pyrex 2 qt when making smaller portions.

Aunt Bertie's potatoes rock!  No one believes me when I first tell them about the recipe until they try them for themselves.  One of my all time favorites!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@kitty4me wrote:

I don't believe there is a way to subscribe to a given thread.  If there is a thread that I particularly enjoy, I try and catch it at least once day so I don't lose track of it.  I haven't seen anything in the new forum that would help with this either but maybe there is but I haven't stumbled across it yet.

I don't know if they will bring that feature back, but you can float your favorite thread to the top, so when you sign in it will be one you see first.