Frequent Contributor

Has anyone got a tried and true recipe for some roasted pecans? I went to a gathering and the host had some she made and they were gone in 2.5 seconds!lol I asked for the recipe but it must be a family secret, so I didnt want to push the issue. haha

I know it had maple syrup, "raw" sugar, maybe cumin? dont know the measurements

It was so good on the strawberry spinach salad with homemade poppy-seed salad dressing....that must be another family secret as well.

Respected Contributor

George Stella's cookbook Livin' low carb

350 oven

4 cups nuts Pecans or a mixture of what you have at home

4T butter

1/2 tea salt

1/2 tea garlic powder

1/2 tea chili powder

1/2 tea cumin

2 pinches cayenne pepper

Mix all in a large bowl to coat and spread nuts single layer on baking sheet 15-20 min. Mix every few minutes so they don't burn.

Respected Contributor

There is another recipe which requires a egg white wash with splenda and spices cooked on a paper bag..

Honored Contributor

I make Spiced Pecans in bulk, and often, between Thanksgiving and New Year's. If you like a little sweetness to your spinach and strawberry (I add other berries, too) salad, these will fit the bill. For your dressing, there are bottled strawberry or raspberry vinaigrette dressings that are pretty good.

Anyway, here's the recipe for the nuts.

Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Cook Time: 30 Minutes

Ready In: 40 Minutes

Ingredients:

1 egg white, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon water

3 cups pecan halves

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

2. In a small bowl beat the egg white with the water. Stir in the pecans, mixing until well moistened.

3. In a small bowl, mix together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Sprinkle over the moistened nuts. Spread nuts on prepared pan.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Be careful not to overcook and burn the nuts

Trusted Contributor

I found a couple of possibilities for you online since you mentioned the cumin:

Maple Roasted Pecans

http://www.purecanadamaple.com/maple-syrup-recipe/maple-roasted-pecans-recipe

I serve these anytime I can come up with an excuse to do so; summer cocktail parties, fall gatherings, family parties, holiday parties, any old sunny afternoon. They’re positively addictive. The recipe is for a smaller quantity but all you have to do is double or triple it if you’re serving a larger crowd.

1/4 to 1/2 cup pecan halves

2 teaspoons olive oil

1-2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup from Canada

Coarse salt and cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 450°. Put all ingredients in a small bowl and toss until well coated. Pour onto a cookie sheet and bake just until golden brown and crisp, about 5-7 minutes. You must watch the pecans carefully. They go from perfect to burnt inside of two minutes.

Number of servings (yield): ¼ - ½ cup, enough to top an entrée or side dish.

Variations

Ancho chili powder, sweet and hot paprika, ground cumin and cumin seed are wonderful spices to use in this recipe.

-----

Sweet and Spicy Maple Roasted Pecans

By Miriam Pascal, OvertimeCook.Com

2 cups pecans

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Pinch ginger

Pinch cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and stir to coat the nuts evenly. Spread nuts in an individual layer on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 12 minutes, stirring after every 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely before eating. Nuts will be soft when they come out of the oven, but they will harden as they cool. Do not over bake—pecans will burn quickly! Store in an airtight container for about a week.

-------

I also saw one similar recipe that added a little curry powder.

Hope these will help you discover the "family secret".

Respected Contributor

Mine aren't roasted but are dipped in a brown sugar meringue and baked on 250 for about an hour till done. They are yummy! But then again, we have pecan from the yard and not the store. We bag them up during the fall, shell, and freeze them for all year yummies. Many people sell them for extra Christmas money. They are getting expensive these days.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of good recipes for spiced and candied nuts on Pinterest.

Trusted Contributor

The maple syrup / pecan recipe sounds great. I am not fond of chili seasoning.