Contributor

Does anyone have the holy grail of roast beef recipes? Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Thundar    Season the meat, place in roaster, take 1 pkg. of Lipton's onion soup mix and pour a little on meat and the rest in the roaster.  You can add carrots and potatoes to pan to roast along with meat.  Fill with some water to cover the veggies.  Bake slowly at 300 to 325 for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is tender.  Cover roasting pan.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Maybe.  I don't have a good recipe for the original version of roast beef, the kind where you put in the overn, roasted it at 350 uncovered.  It creates the beautiful looking slice of beef, To me the beef today is too dry.

However, my husband came up with a simple recipe for chuck roast, be later adapted it to chuck steak because there was just the 2 of us.

He carmelized an onion, used a little sugar to really bring out the sweetness.  Removed the onion, then browned the chuck that was seasoned with just salt and pepper.  Put the roast in an oven proof dish, covered it with the onion, then covered all with a jar of Heinz Beef Gravy.  Covered the pan and cooked it in the oven at 325 for a couple of hours until really tender.  Best roast I ever ate.

I have seen many people swear by the Mississippi roast done in a slow cooker.  I've never made it, and there seems to be many variations on the internet.  It appears the beef almost shreds as you are serving that, so that might not be what you want.

Respected Contributor

Salt. Pepper, Rotisserie. Plain, Simple, Delicious. 

Honored Contributor

I like to cook a roast roast in a Le Creuset cast iron pan and/or wrap the roast in foil in a roasting pan and do it low and slow--325 to 350.  Put carrots and onion around it, maybe some tomato juice, but don't let liquid get high up on the roast. Lots of salt and pepper and some garlic or garlic powder on top.

Nothing worse than boiled roast. Time? Cook until the desired temp of the doneness you like. 

Valued Contributor

@new nickname 4 

Does your husband baste the roasting during cooking time?

I'm going to use your husband's recipe, it sounds delicious!

Honored Contributor

As in the real baked roast beef?  (Rib Roast)?

Betty Crocker Herb and Garlic Rib Roast

Ingredients

• 1beef rib roast, small end (4 to 6 lb)
  • 2teaspoons dried basil leaves
  • 2teaspoons dried thyme leaves
  • 1teaspoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
  • 1teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4teaspoon coarse ground black pepper

Steps

Heat oven to 350°F. For easy cleanup, line shallow roasting pan with foil. Place beef, fat side up, in pan. In small bowl, mix basil, thyme, salt, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle and press onto all surfaces of roast. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of beef and does not rest in fat or touch bone. (Do not add water to pan.)
    For medium-rare, roast uncovered 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 135°F. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F, and beef will be easier to carve.) Cover beef loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes until thermometer reads 145°F. For medium, roast 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 45 minutes or until thermometer reads 150°F. Cover beef loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes or until thermometer reads 160°F.
    Remove beef from pan onto carving board; carve beef. Serve with pan drippings if desired.
Respected Contributor

My mom made the best chuck roast, I dont think she did anything special, she cooked it with potatoes and carrots in one of those black roasting pans, she may have put some lipton onion soup in there with water but I still remember how yummy that roast was.  I have tried to duplicate it and it just isn't the same.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Ingredients

Steps

Heat oven to 350°F. For easy cleanup, line shallow roasting pan with foil. Place beef, fat side up, in pan. In small bowl, mix basil, thyme, salt, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle and press onto all surfaces of roast. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of beef and does not rest in fat or touch bone. (Do not add water to pan.)
    For medium-rare, roast uncovered 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 135°F. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F, and beef will be easier to carve.) Cover beef loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes until thermometer reads 145°F. For medium, roast 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 45 minutes or until thermometer reads 150°F. Cover beef loosely with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes or until thermometer reads 160°F.
    Remove beef from pan onto carving board; carve beef. Serve with pan drippings if desired.

Hard to go wrong iwth a prime rib.  That looks to good!

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Ingredients

Steps

Hard to go wrong iwth a prime rib.  That looks to good!

I copied this for the spices, but it will have to be cooked longer for me, this looks raw to me.