Valued Contributor

I use Basmati rice and I cook it in a rice cooker. I always pre-rinse the rice before using. 

I find that the rice comes out light and fluffy. 

Honored Contributor

I have used Uncle Ben's Converted Rice my entire life.  I don't even know what "converted" means, I just know I always have good luck, and no, I don't rinse it.  

Honored Contributor

I always rinse rice very well.  It definitely makes a difference.  My rise is nice and fluffy and not starchy and sticky.

I am gluten free and eat pasta made with rice.  I always rise that after cooking it.

I used to always use the rice cooker, but I learned from a Chinese friend how to cook rice in a pot and it is just as good if not better than the rice cooker.  It takes less time too.

Esteemed Contributor

No.  I didn't even know you were supposed to.  I guess I will now.  

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

do you rinse rice before cooking it......

No, I never have.  

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I always rinse rice very well.  It definitely makes a difference.  My rise is nice and fluffy and not starchy and sticky.

I am gluten free and eat pasta made with rice.  I always rise that after cooking it.

I used to always use the rice cooker, but I learned from a Chinese friend how to cook rice in a pot and it is just as good if not better than the rice cooker.  It takes less time too.

@Carmie  Ok Ms. Carmie are you going the share the method or just tease us? LOL Regular white rice I do in a pot but Jasmine I always do in a rice cooker.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2   It's an easy method.  Rinse and rinse the rice in a pot until the water is clear.  Then pour water into the pot on top of the rice pot and measure with your fingers.  The water should cover the rice up to your second knuckle,  Put a very tight lid on the pot and cook on low until light and fluffy.  No stirring.

The cooking time will vary depending on the type of rice.

Honored Contributor

Never, I don't do this. I don't find it necessary. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@tiny 2   It's an easy method.  Rinse and rinse the rice in a pot until the water is clear.  Then pour water into the pot on top of the rice pot and measure with your fingers.  The water should cover the rice up to your second knuckle,  Put a very tight lid on the pot and cook on low until light and fluffy.  No stirring.

The cooking time will vary depending on the type of rice.

@Carmie @tiny 2 Here's another slightly more explicit version of that from a friend of mine.  You rinse and measure water over the rice to the depth of your end knuckle of your pointer finger.

You turn on the heat and bring to a gentle boil and let it cook until little holes form in the rice and the water goes down in the holes and you can see a little water sputtering up in the holes, but not a lot of water, just sputtering.

Turn off the heat and put a lid on for I think 15 minutes.  Some people put a towel under the lid I think, but I never did.  Maybe less?  But I seem to remember 15 minutes.  Then lid off and fluff the rice with a fork.

I use a rice cooker now because I can walk away from it and forget it, but that method makes good rice too!  

Esteemed Contributor

No,  don't.  I use medium grain white rice and i like it sticky.

Cogito ergo sum