Respected Contributor

for the life of me,I can't get a steak to taste like steakhouse restraurant I rub a little olive oil on meat first,then season with garlic salt.then I grill on a low temp.any suggestions  seasonings to add?

Esteemed Contributor

Start our searing the steak both sides.  A little flame flareup is good.  Even the sides.

Then immediately lower the heat and let it cook.  Flip half way through.

Trusted Contributor

I grill steak on high temperature to seal in the juices. No salt or seasonings with salt until you're ready to grill, it draws moisture from the meat.   I think seasonings are personal preference. Try a pat of real butter when the steak is done.  Delish.

Respected Contributor

thank-you all for suggestions,especially with butter.

Respected Contributor

It's not you, it's partially the meat.

I had access to a meat purveyor and it was like night and day grilling a steak.   

I grill on a high temp to get the grill marks, then cook on indirect heat until the juices come to the surface, then turn, put back on the hot side and grill 2-3 minutes.  I'm a medium rare person, you can google the technique for knowing when your steak is done with the hand method and never pierce your steak with a meat thermometer.  That's all I know and pride myself in mastering the grill through trial and error.

Here's my seasoning.

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon each of the following

onion powder garlic powder and paprika

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

dash of coriander and dash of tumeric

if you like the garlic taste use granulated garlic instead of powder  Right now I just eyeball my seasoning since I've made it so many times.  You can customize it to your tastes.

no oil on the steak.....make sure the steak is dry, paper towel it to absorb all the liquid, rub seasoning on and grill.

rest your steak after it comes off the grill for about 5 minutes with a loose sheet of foil, if you cut into it right away, your steak will be dry since all the juices ran out on the plate.

Hope that helps, don't forget those steakhouse places have grills that are 500-600 degrees which are way above the temps we can achieve so we must adapt to the best but of course we can't duplicate their efforts 100% unless you have the professional equipment.

Honored Contributor

I do a dry rub and also use butter.  

Respected Contributor
Thank u for info.wish u were my neighbor
Esteemed Contributor

Ribeye is a tender cut of meat and should not be cooked or grilled slowly on a low temperature! Ask any meat cutter and chef, and they'll tell you to sear a tender cut of steak on high heat on both sides for maybe 3 or 4 minutes per side for a medium thick piece of meat (less time if you like them on the rare side). No need to rub a good steak with olive oil, but that's your choice. I usually use a little "Allegro" brand marinade or Worcestershire, along with salt, pepper and garlic powder for about an hour before grilling.....and always grill a steak when it's at room temperature.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Ribeye is a tender cut of meat and should not be cooked or grilled slowly on a low temperature! Ask any meat cutter and chef, and they'll tell you to sear a tender cut of steak on high heat on both sides for maybe 3 or 4 minutes per side for a medium thick piece of meat (less time if you like them on the rare side). No need to rub a good steak with olive oil, but that's your choice. I usually use a little "Allegro" brand marinade or Worcestershire, along with salt, pepper and garlic powder for about an hour before grilling.....and always grill a steak when it's at room temperature.

@jannabelle1     BEST ADVICE !!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

McCormick® Grill Mates® Montreal Steak Seasoning (29 oz ...

I season our ribeyes with montreal steak seasoning it's so good.